Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Radio and Windows shutoff

djbiga615
09-06-2006, 08:59 AM
OK, so i'm driving down the road and apparently my Radio and Windows shut off. Everything else is running fine. They were clicking on and off, and finally off for good...So my question is.. what causes it? Someone told me the theft lock could have been activated and others think its the computer chip or a short? What do you think???

Aaron

richtazz
09-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Welcome to AF. Now and in the future, it would help if you would include the year, engine and trim level (SE, GT, GTP) of your car in your posts.

gw84
09-06-2006, 12:02 PM
maybe a fuse?

BNaylor
09-06-2006, 02:00 PM
I doubt it is a radio Theftlock problem. It sounds like you are losing 12 volts to the retained accessory power circuits (RAP) and the body control module (BCM).

As recommended check all of your fuses especially at the passenger side fusebox.

Welcome to AF.

jwardl
09-07-2006, 01:49 AM
I had a similar problem a few years ago... my radio went, along with seat lumbar adjustment, seat heater, electric defogger, power locks (relay clicks but locks don't do anythiing), and DRL. Never have managed to figure it out yet, but the latest consensus I had here was a bad ignition switch. Fuses were definitely NOT it.

Good luck.

BNaylor
09-07-2006, 07:20 AM
I disagree^^^^^. The fuses are a good starting point. Also, he does not have the symptoms of a defective ignition switch although I would not rule it out but I would put that idea away for now.

What is common to both the power windows and the radio is the retained accessory power circuits, commonly called RAP. I would check the RAP fuse because it provides 12 volts to one side of the RAP relay coil. The body control module (BCM) provides the low/ground to energize the RAP relay.

Based on his specific symptoms the RAP relay is not energizing. When the RAP relay fails to energize when ignition is on two components will not work because they are on the same circuit.

The radio and the power windows.

Also, RAP is what powers down the radio and all accessories like power windows when ignition is set to off. The radio and other accessories will turn off after a 30 second delay or when you open the driver's door.

What would help to troubleshoot a problem of this nature is a GM wiring diagram.

Add your comment to this topic!