Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing 90 Accord Heater Hoses....

redbug
09-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Hello,

I need to replace my heater hoses on my 90 accord. I have gotten the one that loops back on the intake manifold. I attempted to change the two behind the engine... I was trying to reach up while the car was on ramps. Its tough with the spring clamps. I ended up cutting my wrist on some sheet metal, 7 stiches....

I still need to do this job. Does anyone know of any tricks or tools for getting those crappy clamps off? And then getting the hoses off, and then getting them back on! Very little room in there...

Thanks in advance.

AccordCodger
09-06-2006, 08:56 PM
No help with the hoses, I'm afraid. But don't forget to bleed the cooling system when you're done.

mpumas
09-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Those spring clamps can be a bear. They do make special pliers for collapasing the clamp but I use small vise grips to collapse the clamp then move it away from the clamping area. Then I use a small break-away knife to slit the hose. A twist, then its off the fitting. Reverse the procedure for installing. Don't forget to replace the hose from the heater valve to the heater radiator. Maybe thats the one where you cut yourself. Also on some Hondas, there is a hose that goes to the oil fiilter cooler. You just have to cut that one off.

redbug
09-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions...

The problem with the spring clamps is there is only about a 4" space to do the work, and that is about 1.5 feet up from the bottom of the car... I cut my wrist on a piece of sheet metal while I was trying to push a long pair of needle nose pliers around a clamp... I was able to get one loose and then I cut my wrist on a piece of sheet metal when the pliers slipped off the second clamp..... Thankfully it was on the outside of the wrist and just missed the tendons. Had to put the one clamp back on when I got back from the hospital with one hand....

redbug
09-11-2006, 06:59 AM
Finished the job...

Ok, decided to tackle the job yesterday. Wound up tackling it from above. Found that the hood would go completly verticle and I held it back with some bungies.

I then took off the top manifold that holds the throttle butterfly. Lots of tubes to disconnect. Also learned that there is a lot of little tubes on that with coolant flowing through them... (next job)

Once the manifold was off I could get access to the heator core tubes. Not easy, but better than coming from the bottom. Re-used the spring clamps. They are a pain to get off, but much faster than a screw type clamp going back on...

:bananasmi

Add your comment to this topic!