Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tire balance

fastGTP01
09-04-2006, 10:25 PM
today i atook my fron t right tire off to see if i could find that annoying clunk on that side, and just out of pure curiousity i checked my tires for weights. their are no weights of any kind, at all, ANYWHERE on the tire. so i think my shudder at acceleration is due to the fact that my front two tres are completely unbalanced. and alos i still have notfound that clunk. it only does it when im turning, forward or reverse. im thinking maybe cv joint.

richtazz
09-05-2006, 05:41 AM
If the clunk happens only while turning, I would look at the upper strut mount and bearing plate assemblies to see if they are binding. A CV axle will either growl/hum (inner) especially over undulating roads, or continually pop/clunk (outer) while turning. If your clunk is a one time thing, it's most likely not a CV axle.

fastGTP01
09-05-2006, 09:17 PM
actually, it started to growl today on uneven roads, and it will pop more than once while turning, just not all the time. sometimes it pops 4 or 5 times and others it will only do itonce or not at all.

BNaylor
09-05-2006, 09:27 PM
actually, it started to growl today on uneven roads, and it will pop more than once while turning, just not all the time. sometimes it pops 4 or 5 times and others it will only do itonce or not at all.

When the engine was replaced I'm quite sure the hubs were removed to include the axle half shafts. I'd check the torque on the axle nut (both). GM torque figure for OEM hubs is 151 ft-lbs.

richtazz
09-06-2006, 04:27 PM
With your more detailed description of the noise, I agree with bnaylor that there's a good chance the hub torque was not done properly causing the popping/growling due to improper hub bearing pre-load.

Add your comment to this topic!