Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Voyager dash craziness

Mohave
09-04-2006, 09:04 PM
I realize this has been beaten to death, but I cannot find a really close match to my symptoms with my wife’s 98 Voyager.

She has no odometer, transmission position indicator, temperature, or gas gauge functionality (upper dash). It used to be intermittent, but now stays off all the time. The “service engine soon” light has been on.

Rear window wipers for both constant and intermittent work, but the amber lights blink on the buttons for about ten or fifteen minutes before the button lights begin working properly until the engine is turned off (lower dash). Until the lights become normal again, there are no air conditioner, external vent, or rear window defogger light. Still no upper dash function when the lower dash lights begin working correctly.

Connected AutoTap to the OBD-II port and it reads all of the computer values. The “Check Engine” Icon was on, emission status is Fail, but all systems test as complete and green. I could not reset the “Check Engine” status.

AutoTap Displays P1698 No Trans Bus Messages

I power cycled the car by disconnecting the battery for ten minutes. Everything returned to the previous state except the “Service Engine Soon” light, which stayed off. Still no upper dash functionality and the lower dash is still blinking for ten minutes or so.

After the power cycle, AutoTap shows no error codes on the Trans Bus and an Incomplete on the emissions test.

What is going on here? Were my Trans Buss problems associated with the ground strap issue?

webbee
09-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Sounds like the infamous cracked solder joints on the pc board problem. Here is the solder fix. (http://www.ingriddijkers.com/CaravanPics.html)
You will need the manual for how to remove the dash cover for your particular model. It's not hard, just takes some time.

pentabob
09-08-2006, 05:58 AM
Mohave,
the dead gauges may in fact be the cold solder jionts on the cluster, but the blinking rear wiper lights (constant and intermittent) are an indication of a failed calibration test of the "mode, blend and zone" door actuator, and needs to be recalibrated.

to recal:

Set Blower motor ON HIGH
Set Mode position to Panel
Open all A/C outlets
Set Temperature to Cold (Both slide pots if equipped)
Depress WASH and REAR WIPER button simultaneously for 5 Seconds (Until all LED's light)
RESULTS:

All LED's will turn on for 5 Seconds
Calibration Test is running when REAR WIPER and INTERMITTENT are alternately flashing. Cool-down test is running if A/C and RECIRC are alternately flashing.
Acceptable result is REAR WIPER LED is the only LED flashing. Push Rear Wiper to exit.
After all tests have passed, Calibration Diagnostics and Cool-down can be run separately.

best of luck,
Bob

Mohave
09-10-2006, 04:10 PM
After a little operation without any guages, the Check Engine light came back on and the guages came back. I also was able to successfully recalibrate the climate control system. The only thing left is to resolve the P1698 No Trans Bus Messages error code. I will begin by removing and reinstalling the Transmission Control Module.

Add your comment to this topic!