Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I need some advice.

Burns86
09-04-2006, 06:55 PM
I just bought a 87 Shelby Z. Unfornuately, i got ripped off and now have bigger problems than I thought with this lemon. The floorboards and underframe are all rusted and gone. The fuel line is busted and pouring out gas. And there's a lot more wrong with the car. I'm just trying to decide whether to keep the car and fix it up or just junk it. Any ideas?

Its a 87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z. Its a 2.2L turbo 2 engine, 5-spd, t-tops, and with 72k, (but not accurate because the odometer is broken). Is this car considered a collectors item?

MazdaX
09-06-2006, 05:13 PM
I just bought a 87 Shelby Z. Unfornuately, i got ripped off and now have bigger problems than I thought with this lemon. The floorboards and underframe are all rusted and gone. The fuel line is busted and pouring out gas. And there's a lot more wrong with the car. I'm just trying to decide whether to keep the car and fix it up or just junk it. Any ideas?

Its a 87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z. Its a 2.2L turbo 2 engine, 5-spd, t-tops, and with 72k, (but not accurate because the odometer is broken). Is this car considered a collectors item?

You can most likely get weld in replacement floodbaords and the fuels lines for new ones + installed will run you like 100.00 USD most likely and with it being the Shelby, Yeah its kinda a collectors item more or less. Keep it , fix it up when you have the spare change and have a piece of history.

BillWV
09-24-2006, 12:07 PM
If the engine and transmission are good, it would be worth fixing.

The floorboards and frame could easily be cut out of a donor car; there is no difference between Shelby and non-Shelby models. There are tons of garden varienty Daytonas in junkyards.

As far as being collectible, I guess in the sense that good Shelbys are getting harder to find. But I don't think they'll ever be worth the mega-bucks like the early 70's muscle cars.

They're desirable more for being a relatively cheap way to have a fast and fun little car.

If you don't go to the trouble, you can part it out and get some money back, more than if you tried to sell it as is.

Good luck,
Bill

Add your comment to this topic!