Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stupid clutch

thewrathofme
09-04-2006, 12:00 AM
i think my clutch went out but im not sure. it wont shift, it only starts in nuetral, and the clutch pedal sticks. i checked the fluid and its way below minimum, but i can still see some. im going to fill it up but im not sure if that has anything to do with the problem. is my clutch out? could it be the cable or the fluid?

Gizmo42
09-04-2006, 01:11 AM
If its way below minimum you probably have air in the system. Possibly a leaking slave cylinder that let it get that low to begin with.

Try filling it and bleeding the air out and see if it works. Check to see if the slave or master cylinders are leaking.

Usually you will hear a scraping sound from the clutch when you release the pedal if the clutch is worn out.

thewrathofme
09-04-2006, 02:09 PM
ok i filled the fluid and pumped the clutch until it didnt stick anymore,( think that means i bled the air) but it still wont go into gear. where is the slave cylinder and how can i check if its leaking?

Gizmo42
09-04-2006, 06:31 PM
The slave cylinder will be on the left side of the transmission around the bell housing. Just follow the hose from the master cylinder down and it will lead you right to it.

If you dont know where it is then you havent bleed the air out of it. The bleeder valve is on the slave cylinder. If you dont have a hand vac pump or brake bleeder kit then it will be a 2 person job.

Person 1 pumps the pedal a few times to build pressure and keep pusing on the pedal, person 2 opens the bleed valve on the slave cylinder to let the fluid/air out then closes the valve. Repeat until all air has been forced out. Being carefull not to let the master cyclinder get low and suck air in again. A peice of tubing slipped onto the bleed valve and into a container will keep the fluid from spraying everywhere when the valve is opened.

trooperbc
09-04-2006, 07:58 PM
...A peice of tubing slipped onto the bleed valve and into a container will keep the fluid from spraying everywhere when the valve is opened.

and if you use clear tubing when you blead the system, you will be able to see the air bubbles (or not) as the fluid comes out. to help make sure you don't suck air back into the system, keep the tube filled with fluid and immersed in fluid in your 'recovery' jar.

p.s. edit. i've read on forums recently that isuzu hydraulic clutch systems can be real nasty to bleed and get all the air out. you might want to do some searching on that.

EDIT 2: first sentence edited to clarify point.

hth

//bc

thewrathofme
09-04-2006, 08:16 PM
well ifound what i think is the slave cylinder. is it the all metal cylinder with a little rubber thing on it? i cant find any clear tubes or anything that leads to it though... this is quite frustrating

trooperbc
09-06-2006, 12:38 AM
well ifound what i think is the slave cylinder. is it the all metal cylinder with a little rubber thing on it?

from your discription, i assume so.

i cant find any clear tubes or anything that leads to it though...

i doubt that there is clear tubing. to clarify, i was talking about using clear tubing when you blead the system, for the reasons i mentioned.
this is quite frustrating
we hear your pain, man. it sounds like you really need to get a manual or two and read up on this stuff, since it seems so new to you. if nothing else, it might help with the frustration level.

\//bc

redbug
09-06-2006, 07:41 AM
The "little rubber thing" may be a rubber cap protecting the end of the bleeder. Yes, its time for a manual....

Add your comment to this topic!