Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 trans sport wont start after sitting a long time

LEW--C
09-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Hello and HELP ME! I am tring to figure out whats going on with my van. It starts fine as long as its warm. However if it sits overnight it is hard to start, well it wont start with out starting fluid. It will fire for a few revolutions and then stop. sometimes it doesnt fire at all. once it is running it blows whiteish collored smoke out for a few moments then stopsand runs fine. Once its warm it will start fine untill it cools down or sits 8-10 hrs. Today I put a new starter on it after the old one went kaput on me and the engine turns over rather fast now. I have also had a fuel pump and filter put on and this still did not help the prob. I checked the plugs and they are fine. I checked the coil packs and they fire good. I have no idea what else to do Please help if you can. Thanks

Update: It started with slight gas pedal pressure applied after i replaced the starter. TKS

LMP
09-04-2006, 08:48 PM
It looks like you do not have pulses to the injectors....this might indicate problem with the crank position sensor: usually though with this problem, it will start right away then die when warming up...but electronic devices can fail cold as well as fail warm...crank sensor has 2 signals, one will provide spark, and the other is necessary for injector pulse. A dead cam sensor also can cause more difficult starting because the injectors then fire in random sequence instead of being synchronized ....but it would eventually start.
Testing one injector socket for presence of pulse (voltmeter, scope or light bulb) might help . ALso, do you have the Check Engine Light ? IF so, a scan might give a clue.

LEW--C
09-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I dont have any check engine light on my dash. I will look into your advise. Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!