Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel pump or filter?

alero99
09-03-2006, 02:34 PM
ok heres the deal. its a 97 with the 4.3 and 97000 miles. so far i have had nothing but problems and now i can add this to my list

it wouldnt start the other day and it was acting like it wasnt getting fuel so i choked it and it would try to start. so then i put a little gas in the throttle and it fired up and would run until the gas runs out and then would die. knowing chevys i automatically assumed pump so i backed it up on ramps, tried it and it would fire up without the fuel in the throttle and idle until I hit the gas and then it would die. that got me thinkin that maybe its just the filter. I hear the pump priming when i turn the key so i know its working some. I just dont know if it is giving all the pressure...

So what do you think...is it the pump or just the filter?? Also how do i check the fuel pressure?

rlith
09-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Start with the filter (should be replaced every 15-20k

If it still gives the same problem get a pressure tester on the system and see what it's at.

MT-2500
09-05-2006, 11:27 AM
ok heres the deal. its a 97 with the 4.3 and 97000 miles. so far i have had nothing but problems and now i can add this to my list

it wouldnt start the other day and it was acting like it wasnt getting fuel so i choked it and it would try to start. so then i put a little gas in the throttle and it fired up and would run until the gas runs out and then would die. knowing chevys i automatically assumed pump so i backed it up on ramps, tried it and it would fire up without the fuel in the throttle and idle until I hit the gas and then it would die. that got me thinkin that maybe its just the filter. I hear the pump priming when i turn the key so i know its working some. I just dont know if it is giving all the pressure...

So what do you think...is it the pump or just the filter?? Also how do i check the fuel pressure?

You need to run a good fuel pressure test.
Hard to start cold or just hard to start.
Check cold start fuel pressure.
Check engine running fuel pressure.
Check engine running on the road fuel pressure.
Then shut it off and watch for fast leak down.
Pinch off at rubber part or block off return line and check full pressure.
Later V6 and V8 gm engines should have 60-66 fuel pressure.
Cold start should be 64-65 lbs of pressure.
If you do not have full fuel pressure on a cold start the injectors will not squirt fuel.
Do not leave home without it.
Engine running should be 60-66 lbs pressure depending on engine load.
Full pressure with return pinched off should be 75-85 or more.
And if it has a fast leak down after shut off you have a leak.
Post back fuel pressure readings.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!