Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alclad 2

appleseed
09-03-2006, 03:05 AM
I've got a quick question. I want to use Alcad polished aluminum but I'll need a enamel base for the alcad. However, I want to put on an enamel wash on top of the alcad. My question is this- can I get away with a black lacquer base instead of the enamel (so that the wash does not attack the underlying enamel base)? Secondly, will the alcad hold up against an enamel wash?

What I want to do is to get a good polished aluminum finish followed up with an enamel wash. If the alcad is a no go, would anyone be able to suggest an alternative? TIA

a.

stevenoble
09-03-2006, 04:42 AM
I have used Tamiya TS Gloss Black spray under Alclad and it worked fine.I've also used Tamiya X1 Black as well with no problems.I'm not 100% sure that the enamel wash won't damage the Alclad finish though,so I would test it first on an old model or some scrap parts just to make sure before you commit it to your model.

klutz_100
09-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I agree with Steve. In fact, IIRC Tamiya TS gloss black is the recommended base for polished alu (enamel is for chrome). Apply THIN coats only.

I agree you should test the was first. Out of curiosity, why are you so set on an enamel wash? Why not e.g. acrylic or oil?

Veyron
09-03-2006, 09:37 AM
I always use TS14 Gloss Black....spray it on and almost immediately spray the Alclad on it. No problem at all.

appleseed
09-03-2006, 03:34 PM
I always thought it was an enamel base. That makes things a bit easier. I'll test it out on a scrap piece of plastic first.

I like enamel washes as they're relatively easier to work with and easier to clean up over artist oil or acrylic. I find that it is hard to remove the excess wash from acrylics and the oils are just plain messy. The enamels are much easier to clean up with a small amount of thinner with a qtip or a napkin. Just preference I suppose.

Thanks for the responses.

a.

dag65
09-05-2006, 10:47 AM
I use Duplicolor black followed by Duplicolor clear as a base for AlcladII. I don't think the Alclad will hold up well if you apply washes, its a farily delicate finish

Ferrari TR
09-05-2006, 11:17 AM
I doubt the base will make a difference. The alclad is simply to delicate to handle the solvent in your wash. I tried a clear coat on the polished aluminum finish over the weekend and the alclad went to grey instantly.

I use a water color wash quite a bit. Just a plain cheap school supply water color set with a tiny bit of dish soap added to help the flow.

appleseed
09-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Hmm... it appears that the consensus here is that Alcad would not holdup over any type of wash. Does Model Master make anything close to a bright polished aluminum that I could wash over? My experience with the Model Master line is that the buffing metalizers can withstand a wash without any problems. The only reason I'm asking is that my local hobby store does not carry an extensive line of the metalizer line and thus I have never seen one. If anyone has used it, would they mind posting the finish on the Model Master metalizer for me?

Thanks!!

a.

joelwideqvist
09-05-2006, 01:45 PM
I wash my Alclad all the time without problems... I often use Tamiya acrylics or enamels and I use a black enamel base for chrome and aluminum. I think the aluminum was a bit easy to remove on top of laquer.
/Joel

Add your comment to this topic!