Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electric Cooling Fan Motor Relay issues...

tmarsh
09-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Today, my wife pulls into the drive and turns off the engine. The fan stays on. I smell burning plastic and look for smoke. I see it in the electric cooling fan relay. I pull the fuse and it stops. Has anyone had this happen before? I pulled it off and it has melted some of the connecter on the car. Is this strictly an electric cooling fan relay problem, or is this the result of something else on the fritz.

FYI - this is the same car that posted problems with it starting approx. 2 wks ago. I fiddled with just about everything including the relay..then it worked. I have know Idea what I did, but I am guessing a short was involved. It seems likely the same problem again, i.e. a short.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance - Aaron

94PROBEGTR
09-02-2006, 10:27 PM
the best thing todo is have the electrical system checked out. by a pro if possible. someone always parting out. check mx6 or probetalk.com and see if someone will part out the fues box for the engine.

rhandwor
10-13-2006, 04:05 PM
You may have a bad motor pulling to many amps. You could hook up the motor direct and use an ammeter clamp on type. If the amps are high buy a new motor. Check for bad grounds and fix bad wiring.

psgt21
10-17-2006, 03:43 PM
I have any part you need as far as wiring, relays, fuses, etc. I also have the complete fan assembly. If you need something just e-mail me at psgt21@yahoo.com

Add your comment to this topic!