Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is alternator needed for starting?

sdpassport
09-02-2006, 01:15 PM
I am replacing a faulty timing belt tensioner and wanted to test it before putting all the drive belts back on. When I turn the key, the engine turns over but does not start. Is the alternator required to be connected in order to start?

Thanks,
Darren

rodeo02
09-02-2006, 05:08 PM
No, just a fully charged battery is needed for starting. Hopefully your valve timing is not off. Did you move the positions of ANY of the drive sprockets when you removed the timing belt?

Joel

sdpassport
09-02-2006, 11:05 PM
I believe I have the timing correct. I have become an near export in this area having replaced the timing belt, water pump and now the hydraulic tensioner in the last 6 months. I am going to look at the ignition and fuel systems next.

anthonyn
09-03-2006, 04:56 PM
When you turn the key to start the engine it relies on a switch in the alternator to energize the fuel pump. It might be worthwhile to hook up that alternator belt to see if it makes a difference before doing more troubleshooting.

Cat Fuzz
09-05-2006, 11:06 PM
When you turn the key to start the engine it relies on a switch in the alternator to energize the fuel pump. It might be worthwhile to hook up that alternator belt to see if it makes a difference before doing more troubleshooting.

Respectfully, I disagree. When I dug into the timing belt on my 94 I started the engine with the covers off and without any accessories without a problem.

To sdpassport: Did you even remove the timing belt? It's been awhile but I didn't think you had to just to replace the tensioner.

2eyefishclaw
09-08-2006, 10:46 AM
I am with fuzz on this one no alternator is needed on this model to start the vehicle I am an Isuzu tech my
if it was running bewfore t-belt replacment timing must be off

Add your comment to this topic!