Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

honda civic si turbo

fujj216
09-02-2006, 01:23 AM
Hey...I have a 2000 civic si...and want to put a turbo in it...everything in car is stock...Would this be safe for the car?

hany
09-02-2006, 04:23 AM
it should be save if you keep two main things in your mind
1- the maximume boost that can your stock internals can work.
2- the ration between the air and the fuel.

eckoman_pdx
09-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Should should be fine, providing you

a) run an intercooler (seriously, I've seen ppl leave it off and the crap almost always blows up)

b) don't turn the boost up past 8psi. 8psi should be fine, but that's about the reliable limit for stock internals

c) Forget using an FMU or fuel pressure reg, use a good tuning program, hondata, chrome etc. Have it dyno tuned by someone who knows there crap. Not just anyone, someone who knows honda's and is good. Seriously, it's worth the $ to have this done. This will help make sure the system is maximized to it's potential, and that's it's set up properly and running safe. Also, don't go in there saying "I want to hit this number hp." The max safe they can get out of it is what I'd take, it's not worth a busted motor.

Remember, intercooler, 8psi max, hondata/chrome etc to tune, and have it dyno tuned by someone who knows there stuff. It's worth the extra money to pay for dyno time and someone good a tuning a motor. Good luck.

Schister66
09-12-2006, 12:02 AM
you can push it higher than what Ecko said, but at that point, you are losing some potential reliability. I am pushing my car on stock, but not for long. There have been a number of cars that make over 350whp on stock B's. You have to have a well put together setup to make that power reliably. Reading is your friend....read everything you can find on AF and on Honda-tech

eckoman_pdx
09-12-2006, 12:48 AM
you can push it higher than what Ecko said, but at that point, you are losing some potential reliability. I am pushing my car on stock, but not for long. There have been a number of cars that make over 350whp on stock B's. You have to have a well put together setup to make that power reliably. Reading is your friend....read everything you can find on AF and on Honda-tech

You are at 9psi yourself on stock internals, which isn't reallly pushing it that much since you have it tuned correct. Around 8psi. As You said, you can go higher but you'll blow your motor up, so it's not recommended. Do't try to be a hero and run 16psi on sotck internals

I've seen several people make 275+ hp on stock internals (besides you) on a GSR around 8-9psi. Catch? Tuned on a dyno using hondata, done right...much like you. It's why I say 8psi and forgo giving a much more rough hp number, and why I re-interated dyno tuning.:)

As you said, you can go higher but not for long.

Dyno tuning is important. Schister66 would have had a hard time hitting 275 on 9psi reliably without a good tuning program and dyno tuning.

As i said and as Schister66's set-up shows, around 8psi, with a good tuning program and GOOD dyno tuning will get you far. Cut corners, like turning the boost up too high (blown motor eventually), not dyno tuning it , etc..not good idea. Stick to the tired and true method.

Schister66
09-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Ecko nailed that last one.....if you cut corners, you might as well not even boost it at all because its going to blow up. My biggest piece of advice....get it tuned by a professional, no matter the cost.

superbluecivicsi
09-14-2006, 05:41 PM
safe is what you make of it ;)

Add your comment to this topic!