chevy employee discount

96EclipseGS
09-01-2006, 07:57 PM
hey guys, im lookin into buying a 2006/07 colorado, and my grandparents supposedly ordered an employee discount card, but they dont know for exactly how much it will discount the truck, any1 know anything about the situation im in? maybe the price range for the LT1 5 cyl. 3.7L, w/ the discount?

96EclipseGS
09-01-2006, 08:03 PM
more specifically, its the hughs aircraft employee discount

Blue Bowtie
09-02-2006, 10:44 AM
There is a difference in discount percentages between Tier 1 and Tier 2 Supplier Disconts through GM. The discount also differes as it applies to in-stock vehicles versus factory ordered vehicles. Your "discount" entitles you to purchase the vehicle at a fixed percentage markup over the dealer price, or "Supplier Price" as it's called.

The last time I tried to get a Tier 1 Supplier discount, I had to jump through some hoops to get the required letter, then bypass the sales people at the dealership to talk with the sales manager. I learned that the discount applies to the supplier price of the base vehicle and options, minus destination charges. Any current marketing incentive or discount plans will NOT apply to the Supplier Purchase price. There is no room to negotiate the supplier prices at the dealership, as those are set by GM. Two dealers were reluctant to even file the transaction, since it creates paperwork for them for which they do not get compensated. They are required to purchase the vehicle from GM at the fixed price, and take whatever GM allows for profit percentage.

In my experience, I found that I could actually pay substantially less for the vehicle by finding a dealer who would honestly negotiate price, then take advantage of the incentive programs and consumer discounts available at the time. I drove out with a vehicle with a sticker price of just over $28,800, and "only" paid $22,300. That included taxes, license, title and registration fees. Had I used the Tier 1 Supplier Discount Program, I would have paid about $24,100, and that would not have included taxes, license, title, etcetera.

The dealership still pays the fixed dealer price for the vehicle, but the GM-sponsored promotion and discount programs apply to the price AFTER the sale. That means the dealership has a bit more lattitude to sell the vehicle UNDER their normal cost, since they can recover the full "$3,000 Cash-Back" (or whatever the promotion is) from GM after the transaction is filed. That's in addition to their normal factory commissions. I'm probably not being very clear on the details, but if you find an honest dealer (there ARE some out there) they can walk you through the entire program and show you the differences.

There's nothing wrong with checking it out, but don't be too surprised if you can get a little better deal WITHOUT the "discount."

96EclipseGS
09-03-2006, 01:58 AM
yeah kinda vague, but i get the meaning behind it, pretty much the same thing you would do for any car/truck you wanted to buy, find the best dealership thats most flexible, w/out the hassle..thanks for the info

Flatrater
09-14-2006, 05:40 AM
I get a discount and mine is 500 dollars over cost. And all GM rebates are added to the price

haul0348
09-18-2006, 06:56 PM
I would like to see if you know why the fuel injectors on my 2005 cavalier tick? Is this a problem that can be fixed or is it normal?

jcorkern
01-01-2007, 01:30 AM
Just go to edmunds.com and look up the invoice and the incentives and go in prepared to do some dealing. Get all incentives and not a nickel over invoice! Forget the supplier price or "employee discount" price. They will sell it, dont let them lie, they will sell at invoice. and you can get special rates at teir a,b, and c for credit also.

Add your comment to this topic!