Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tune up questions

manwiththeplan88
09-01-2006, 05:24 PM
In order to change the fuel filter I heard that you have to release the pressure first. Is this necessary on a 1997 LS Blazer?

I would also like to know if there are any instructions on changing the PCV valve including possible pics, I honestly don't even know where to find it. I have a hayne's manual but I can't really figure it out as far as finding it under my hood.

I have not had a tune up done in 2 years and i dont know if the previous owner even did one, therefore should I change the spark plug wires since I am changing the spark plugs?

BlazerLT
09-01-2006, 08:05 PM
just slowly release the connections with a rag covering it to keep it from spraying around.

PCV valve is in the driver's side valve cover.

A 1997 should have the following changed:

Fuel filter
Spark plugs AC Delco Platinum only
Cap & Rotor
Air Filter
PCV Valve
Plug Wires
Transission flush and refill and a new filter
Differential fluid and transfer case fluid change

Also IMPORTANT: Swap things one at a time, don't rip the cap and rotor and plugs and wires off all at once seeing two of the plugs on the driver's side have swapped connections on the cap.

Rick Norwood
09-02-2006, 11:01 AM
just slowly release the connections with a rag covering it to keep it from spraying around.

PCV valve is in the driver's side valve cover.

A 1997 should have the following changed:

Fuel filter
Spark plugs AC Delco Platinum only
Cap & Rotor
Air Filter
PCV Valve
Plug Wires
Transission flush and refill and a new filter
Differential fluid and transfer case fluid change

Also IMPORTANT: Swap things one at a time, don't rip the cap and rotor and plugs and wires off all at once seeing two of the plugs on the driver's side have swapped connections on the cap.

Short, sweet, and right to the point. Good advice.

MT-2500
09-02-2006, 11:16 AM
In order to change the fuel filter I heard that you have to release the pressure first. Is this necessary on a 1997 LS Blazer?

I would also like to know if there are any instructions on changing the PCV valve including possible pics, I honestly don't even know where to find it. I have a hayne's manual but I can't really figure it out as far as finding it under my hood.

I have not had a tune up done in 2 years and i dont know if the previous owner even did one, therefore should I change the spark plug wires since I am changing the spark plugs?

Also a good time to check the coolant.
Coolant should be changed/serviced ever 3 years or 50K.
As said on fuel filter use caution. Use eye protection and also.
Ear plugs to be on safe side. :grinyes: :lol: :rofl: :grinyes:
Last time my Son inlaw changed his he got a ear full of gas.
Do not ask me how but he done it.
MT

manwiththeplan88
09-03-2006, 12:29 PM
But as far as the PCV valve cover, I still dont even know where that is, im sorry for being incompetent.

As far as what I will be doing for my tune up should there be a certain order to which things I do first or can I do it in whatever order I want? I will be changing my plugs, cap, rotor, radiator cap, fuel filter, oil change, PCV valve. I alredy have new air filter.

I did not buy plug wires because money is tight, but if I MUST buy them let me know and I will just do it anyways. If so which kind would you recommend as far as money/performance?

Should i get transission flush and refill and a new filter/differential fluid and transfer case fluid change done by a mechanic or local shop, or would I be able t do it easily myself?

Last question, I bought AC Delco rapid fires already but should I return them and get the platinums? ALL THE HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

Blue Bowtie
09-03-2006, 12:58 PM
You don't necessarily need to change the spark plug wires. The only way to deternine if they need replacement is to clean and inpect them for cuts, burns, or abrasions, and test the resistance. Expect 3,000 to 5,000 ohms per foot of wire length. You can clean the PCV valve with carburetor spray cleaner. A cleaned AC PCV valve is superior to a brand new Fram PCV valve. You'll need some anyway to clean the throttle body bores and IAC air passages.

As for the coolant, if it is DexCool (orange colored) you only need to change it every 100,000 miles or five years, but it DOES need to be checked for concentration and correct pH every year. If the concentration is inadequate for freeze/boil protection, or the ph is over 6.0, it needs to be changed. Standard litmus paper will work fine for testing. Either way, if the coolant has never been changed, it's at least four years overdue.

What is the truck's milage? That can help determine whether the differential housings and transfer case oils need to be changed.

manwiththeplan88
09-03-2006, 01:06 PM
It has around 180,000 miles on it.

Blue Bowtie
09-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Well then, it's probably well overdue for an oil change in both axles and the transfer case. Use 75W90 synthetic gear oil in the axles, and GM Auto-Trak II lubricant in the transfer case. There is no need for any friction modifier in either differential, because even if they are limitied slip types (rear only) they are not the cone-clutch/Auburn version. ZT and Detroit locker types do not need the additive, since they have no friction members to lock the axles.

manwiththeplan88
09-03-2006, 04:46 PM
So should I take it to a shop for that? I dont know ifd I be able to with my limited exerience. Also I bought AC Delco rapid fires already but should I return them and get the platinums?

Add your comment to this topic!