96 sunfire oil pan removal HELP!!!

mavrick1228
09-01-2006, 12:27 AM
I am working on a 2.4 and have engine in car, don't have cherry picker to remove.... anyway, trying to remove the oil pan and have all but one bolt out and can't get to it due to a collar/spacer in the way by the bell housing/oil pan.. has bolt coming from bell housing thru collar/spacer thru oil pan w/ a nut on it. took the nut off but don't/can't slide bolt out of way to get the collar off to get to the last bolt in oil pan. afraid if i force the bolt out/ into bell housing or trany oil pan, if that's where it goes to, that i will not get it back in place w/o ripping more apart.. want to check bottom end for crank damage and this is stopping me. PLEASE HELP!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

thanks
Bob

my99cavy
09-01-2006, 12:33 AM
This is all I could come up with seeing how I have never done this but maybe this might help a little bit.....

Properly drain the engine oil and the cooling system into suitable containers.
Remove the flywheel housing or transaxle converter cover, as applicable.
Remove the right front wheel and tire assembly, then remove the right splash shield.
Remove the serpentine drive belt.
Unfasten the A/C compressor lower retaining bolts.
Remove the transaxle-to-engine brace.
Disconnect the engine mount strut bracket.
Unfasten the radiator outlet pipe bolts, then remove the pipes from the oil pan.
Remove the exhaust manifold brace.
Unfasten the oil pan-to-flywheel cover bolt and nut.
Remove the flywheel cover stud for clearance.
Disconnect the radiator outlet pipe from the lower radiator hose and oil pan.
Detach the oil level sensor connector.
Unfasten the oil pan retaining bolts, then remove the pan and gasket. Inspect the gasket for damage. If it'e O.K. you can reuse it. No sealer is necessary.
http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/jpg/small/0900823d801917fa.jpg (javascript:pop()
Fig. 2: After removing the oil pan, inspect the gasket. If it's not damaged you can reuse it

mavrick1228
09-01-2006, 03:41 PM
SORRY but I have a book and this above reply doesn't help. I need someone who has experiance in working on this engine in the car. Thanks anyway.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Cavalier2000
09-01-2006, 05:58 PM
take the mounts off and jack up the motor with a floor jack and then take a big ass piece of wood and place it were the motor mount was placed SO THAT THE MOTOR IR HIGHER sorry hope you get that point, once the motor is high enough let the jack down and work from there,

I hope that it what you were talking about

mavrick1228
09-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Please look at picture... at the right #2 bolt there is a steel collor w/ a bolt going thru it. that steel collor is over the top of that bolt and there is no way to remove that bolt that i can see cause you can't feel the head of the bolt due to the flywheel being in the way.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/jpg/small/0900823d801917fb.jpg

mavrick1228
09-03-2006, 01:32 AM
sorry actually #3 bolt at bottom right hand corner of pic is where the collar is

mavrick1228
09-03-2006, 02:01 AM
I finally found a pic of what i thought was a bolt... actually a stud. see pic of transaxle to engine bolts. how do you remove a stud?? that is what is holding me up! Letters D & B

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/jpg/small/0900823d801924e9.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!