Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Porsche 914 vs. MR2

Max_AZ
08-31-2006, 11:13 PM
I am looking to buy a car relatively soon, and the requirements I have are that it must be a mid engine sports car, with potential for serious modification (i.e. engine swaps, etc). I have come to the conclusion that there are few affordable vehicles fitting into this category. My two prime choices right now are narrowed down to mr2 and 914. What are advantages/disadvantages of both; performance wise, price wise, and modifiability wise. Which would you suggest? Other suggested cars? Also, I will be developing the vehicle's performance slowly, given limited funds.

stamar
08-31-2006, 11:32 PM
I can say unequivicably(sp) that unless it is a true weekend driver type of car you want the mr2.

You are even comparing full generations of automotive techology.

The boxer engine is a ohv v4. Its performance is thrilling in the first 30 feet but sad in reality. This is a design that goes back to the 50s although it has been updated to compete with whatever year you find the 914 in I cant remember when they ceased production.

Im fairly certain most years of the mr2 are efi, dohc, eventually even vvti, i mean light years ahead.

I want to tell you as a former volkswagon and porsche owner that both kinds of cars are not what you can consider reliable by any real definition of the word. They are made to require regular mechanical attention.

BurntGauge
09-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Which generation MR2?

Jimster
09-01-2006, 07:20 AM
=

I want to tell you as a former volkswagon and porsche owner that both kinds of cars are not what you can consider reliable by any real definition of the word. They are made to require regular mechanical attention.

In all honesty, the same applies for the MR2, especially if an AW10/11, it's almost guaranteed to have spent its' life being thrashed.

regardless, the 914 was crap, the number one candidate for "not a real Porsche" the MR2 is an OK car though.

blakscorpion21
09-01-2006, 09:56 AM
id say get the mr2, especially if its a turbo.

kachok25
09-01-2006, 10:11 AM
MR2 not that it is a vastly better stock car, BUT it has a much better aftermarket, plus prob alot easier to find.

crayzayjay
09-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Get a 914 and put a 928 V8 in it :D

Max_AZ
09-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Get a 914 and put a 928 V8 in it :D
actually yes, if I were going to get a 914 I would certainly perform an engine swap in the future. Perhaps v8, or v6, but either way, I wouldn't get a 914 unless I were going to put a new engine in. I basically want one of these two cars so that I can use it as a base for a fast, custom vehicle with A LOT of power. In this case, which would be superior? From what I've read, it seems that modified 914's can be extremely fast in comparison to MR2's, but I also have to consider the price of modifications, and how much must be done in order to make either car capable of handling such power (400-600hp). Handling wise? Thoughts? Also, if there's another car that would be better, please give input.

blakscorpion21
09-05-2006, 07:39 PM
if you get an mr2 turbo, you will already have a solid engine to start with that can run close to 500hp on the stock bottom end.

BlackGT2000
09-06-2006, 10:46 AM
It might be the suckiest porsche ever but still, its a porsche. There are few circumstances that I would vote against a porsche.

Add your comment to this topic!