Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Park Ave master key won't start....

82Stang
08-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Anyone have this problem? Our 99 park ave with security features all of a sudden wouldn't let my wife start the car. She was 1/2 hour away when it did this. After visiting for a few hours, the key wouldn't do anything. No start, nothing. There were lights however and she did get locked out for a moment, but still no start. I think it may have something to do with the master key or security mechanism, not sure. Any ideas? Thank you.

HotZ28
09-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Do you have the resistor in the key? Did you wait ten minutes and try again? If the "key reader" does not read the key, your security system will disable the starter and fuel injectors. Sometimes, after a ten wait (without inserting the key again) you can reinsert the key and it will all be OK. Might try another key, or just clean the resistor in the one you have. Moisture on the key will give the same symptoms.

BNaylor
09-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Good point Bo. I found out that the best way to clean the resistor pellet on a Passkey II VATS system is a pencil eraser. Clean both sides of the pellet.

On the relearn that may have to be repeated a few times. Ignition to on for 10 minutes and off for at least 30 minutes. However, the owner's manual says the system should recognize the key in as little as 3 minutes.

If all else fails then you may have a flaky key lock cylinder or the BCM needs to be scanned for body/chassis codes.

Good luck.

82Stang
09-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the ideas people, but I figured it out......once I looked at it. Sometimes when describing problems, different people describe them differently, hence when someone describes a certain condition, best to look yourself. And what I found was that the dash displayed "unkown driver" in the DIC. This was easily fixed by pressing the seat memory button on the driver's door. Then it recognized, Driver #1 or Driver #2. Guess you don't know about these things until you encounter them, but it was all explained in the owner's manual. On top of that, the dome lights were left on, thus I needed a jump and all was good. Appreciate your responses!

Add your comment to this topic!