Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

rear wheel bearings

hazegrey
08-31-2006, 07:37 PM
:icon16: I am sure that this question has come up before and I can't seem to find the thread for it.

I have been having a humming and slight vibration that happens at 40 mph and lets up and stops just above 60 mph. The vibration can also be felt when applying the brake. I have replaces the carrier bearing and the front bearings have been re-packed so my question is does the rear bearings need to be re-packed or could there also be something else that might cause this problem???
:dunno:
-Will

2eyefishclaw
08-31-2006, 11:49 PM
no you cannot repack rear bearings but they can be replaced

redbug
09-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Will,

I have a 95 rodeo so it should be similar. Rear bearing should be running in the differential oil... So you should not need to repack. I did replace my bearing when I thought it was clunking around corners, turned out to be a common spring bushing problem.. Anyway, it was a pain in the but to change. Had to go to a machine shop to press it off and on.... Also a pain to get out.

Have you checked out your U joints? How are your tires, any bubbles?

elopez2
09-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Just my 2 cents I find that hard to bealive your rear bearing is going bad? I replaced the rear axle from and 1998 Isuzu Rodeo 4X4 because it was warpped. To change it out U pretty much have to torch it out! Sounds crazy but true. When U get a new bearing, bearing comes with packed grease then once U run it, it gets some oil from diff. I would check some thing else check oil level on your diff. If U need to change it just let me know!

hazegrey
09-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Have you checked out your U joints? How are your tires, any bubbles?

Just had the tires road force balanced at les schwabe and the rims and tires are fine and tires have less than 15K on them. I can't say that I really know what I am looking for when it comes to knowing what a bad u joint is but I did twist and shake the drive shaft with no side to side action and very little up and down movement. What am I looking for exactly??

rodeo02
09-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Your rear wheel bearings are lubed by the rear diff oil. Really rare to have problems with the rear bearings.

Joel

Add your comment to this topic!