Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Accord Coolant Leak

dhatch
08-30-2006, 09:46 PM
I have a 2000 Accord EXV6. From the driver's side perspective the right fan by the radiator goes on after I turn the car off. It has never done this before. I've got 108,000 miles on it. I live in Texas, but that fan has never gone on. Now I've notice some coolant on my garage floor. Where would it be coming from?

somick
08-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Welcome to the forum, dhatch!
Your fan comes on because the antefreeze does not cool your engine good enough. It does not cool your engine good enough because there is not enough antifreeze in the system: it leaked out.
This is a dangerous situation for your engine. You may kill it!
Check out upper and lower radiator hoses. This is the most common spots.
Do it asap!

Sam

dhatch
08-31-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks for your reply. The weird thing is, the radiator is full, no overflow from the reserve either. I cannot see all the way under the car to see where the coolant was coming from either. It was all of a tablespoon full.

somick
08-31-2006, 04:18 PM
I still would check both of the hoses. Try to bend them a little. Especialy at point where they connect to the radiator and the engine. If your antifreeze leaks it is comming from somewhere, is not it?
I once had a blocked vent hose on my Isuzu truck. Make sure it is clear from obsturctions.

Sam

dhatch
08-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Just got back from my mechanic. He saw nothing wrong. Hoses all looked good still. They were replace a few months ago. They were all connected really good. Told me in the morning to open the radiator, make sure it was full and the reserve was where it was suppose to be. Told me if anything it would be leaking from the water pump. He replaced that a few months ago when he changed my timing belt and all the other belts. It hasn't leaked anymore. He told me he had a customer that the same thing happened. His leaked once and never again. Strange! We'll see what happens. I love my Accord. This is the first time something weird has happened. I've always kept the oil changed, tune ups when I'm supposed to and have lived relgiously by the maintenance schedule.

Add your comment to this topic!