Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

RSX Type S

rickl730
08-24-2001, 05:52 PM
Just picked up the RSX Type S. It is an amazing car. It will rip through first, second and third spinning the tires through each geer. ummmm so much for the break-in period. Good thing it isn't a motorcycle!

F20C
08-24-2001, 06:20 PM
Why don't you break in the car first before ripping it?

kenchan
08-27-2001, 01:15 PM
he's breaking in the tires first. hehehe. :D

JD@af
08-27-2001, 05:58 PM
While I NEVER endorse pounding on an engine before it's had time for the sharp metal edges to work themselves off the pistons as harmlessly as possible, and the piston ring gaps to set themselves as thoroughly as can be expected in a motor that's not going to see constant tear downs, I am glad that you are enjoying your new ride.. and a little jealous too ;)

rickl730
08-27-2001, 06:09 PM
Thanks!

And

I know, I know I know!!!! It is just so damn hard not to.

I have been taking it easy since then but I guess what ever damage could be done probably has been.

JD@af
08-27-2001, 06:24 PM
It's not the end of the world, don't worry about it too much. Think about me: in a few weeks, I'm going to install my new engine and I'll be running my JRSC at 13 to 15 max psi of boost (remember that a stock JRSC kit produces 6 psi of boost at max), and yet I'm going to have to drive like a wuss and shy away from races for a thousand miles. It's going to suck ass. But I'm trying to keep long term engine health in perspective.

Here's a link with some info you might want to check out at the bottom (under "Engine Break-In (1,000 Miles)"): http://www.theoldone.com/articles/engine.tips/piston_data_sheet.html

Anyway, try to settle it down until you are safely over a thousand miles - if you aren't already. Also, in case you don't know, once you hit 1K miles, IMMEDIATELY change your oil and oil filter. It's very important to get rid of everything that's in your oil and filter at that point. You don't want to keep cycling those metal fibers through your engine any longer than you need to.

rickl730
08-27-2001, 06:33 PM
Excellent! Thanks for all the advice and the link.

I do feel sorry for you too. All that Power at your pedal and you can't use it!

Also, I had no idea about changing the motor oil on a car engine after the first 1k miles. I deffinately did that on my motorcycle which is also a 4 cyl. 4 cycle water cooled engine, so I guess it does make a whole lot of sense. An engine is an engine! The manufacturor hand-book has me changing it for the first time at 10k miles....what a joke! I guess they expect me to have it in the shop at the Acura dealer quite often so they can make some $$$$$$.

Thanks again!

JD@af
08-27-2001, 06:43 PM
Hmmm... well the manufacturer does put a special oil in the engine when brand spanking new, one that is very clean, and I think has either an especially high or low viscosity (can't remember which off-hand). Their oil works better than the conventional oil I'll be using for my break in, so you can get away with over a 1,000 miles. But I think 10,000 is crazy - while at the same time they wouldn't lie about what the engine can handle.

I am just an air on the side of caution kind of guy, and would rather change the oil more frequently then having to tear down the engine to replace the piston rings, or heaven forbid, get debris in your rod bearings, which can ultimately throw or spin a bearing, and pop a rod right though your engine block wall. Not to scare you, but this is why I believe in breaking in very carefully.

rickl730
08-27-2001, 06:53 PM
I agree with being causious. I am just really suprised by Acura's recommendation. They said to use 5W30 oil, Only Acura (Honda) filter and if you live in a climate where the it stays over 90 degrees change your oil every 7500 otherwise change it every 10k. From what I read about this iVTEC engine, it is sounds very delicate. The fact that it is variable up to 50 degrees on the cam lift really sounds to me like a sensitive engine, thus keep it clean and free from as much debree as possible.

Honda must have one hell of a manufactoring fascility in Japan!

Are they making Micro chips or engines there? ;)

JD@af
08-27-2001, 06:59 PM
I will be the first to say that I believe that Honda makes the best engines of any globally-distributed automotive manufacturer, right up there with BMW and Porsche.

5W30 and Honda filters only are part of the Honda Bible, do not stray form these. I'll add that after the break in, the 5W30 should be Mobil 1 only. As for 50 degrees of variable cam lift, that really is quite impressive. The differences in timing that can amount to are incredible.

F20C
08-27-2001, 08:12 PM
My car runs a special formulated engine oil design for my engine. It helps run in the engine better. Honda advised me to keep it for 5000 kms before my first oil change. What I have learn during the break in period is to check engine oil level whenever filling up the gas.

rickl730
08-28-2001, 11:03 AM
That is good information on the S2000. A good friend of mine just purchased one so I will let her know.

F20C
08-28-2001, 10:37 PM
Tell her to watch the rear tire pressure as well. It is known to lose pressure during the break in period as well.

jaythecarguy
09-14-2002, 02:31 PM
I am just a bit worried about the break in period on an RSX.
I just turned 17 and my mom bought me an RSX type-S to drive to school, and I have not really let the engine break in. I have been driving it hard since 100 miles, and now am at 700. What is the worst that can happen?

jaythecarguy
09-14-2002, 06:17 PM
PS... I've only had the car for one week....

Drifter To Be
09-27-2002, 10:13 PM
yeah...
Try to be more gentle with your car before it breaks in...
P.S. I GET MY RSX TYPE S WHEN I TURN 15! YES!
Bleh but it's not exactly my car... I'll still have to let my parents drive it.
But of course I'll definitely be adding mods on it.
(just basic ones, AEM CAI, exhaust, wheels & tires, etc.)

jaythecarguy
09-29-2002, 03:44 PM
thats cool you get yours when you turn 15, but how can you drive it? goo luck.

Drifter To Be
09-29-2002, 07:49 PM
:D
I've already been driving for about 5 months now...
In Alberta, Canada you can get your learners when you're 14 and your actual liscense when you are 16.:D
I got my learners soon after my birthday.

maceez13
09-29-2002, 09:48 PM
i will hopefully getting mine soon to.. i dont wanna wait 1000 miles

02RSXSilver
10-03-2002, 12:53 PM
You really shouldn't be pounding on it that way... as for some of the previous discussion on oil changes, my Acura dealer told me not to do a 1k change, that there is an additive in the oil. I am now at 3k, and I am going to change, but my local auto store didn't have 5w30, so I picked up some 40 weight "european" mobil 1. Anyone think this will be a problem? I wouldn't think so, but I am a V8 guy so what do I know? Also, I let the guy at the store talk me into the Mobil1 filter, he said they were the best on the market... any thoughts on this? I live in Arizona where the climate is pretty warm... mine is a garage baby, so I don't ever have to worry about freezing even in the winter...

Brandon Johnson

ACURA_RSX_TYPE_S
03-06-2003, 08:31 AM
I have heard a little about a grinding in between 1st and 2nd gears in the base model rsx and the type-s, have you noticed anything or have any idea what is causing the problem and how it can be fixed?

A prospective RSX Type-S buyer( waiting to get the money)

02RSXSilver
03-06-2003, 11:43 AM
I have now got ~9500mi on mine, the 1-2 is probably the least smooth of the shifts, but the only time it has ground was my fault... I think that was an early 02 problem.

Brandon Johnson

Add your comment to this topic!