Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Please help me out!!!

gtx '03
08-30-2006, 05:59 PM
ok...i have a 2002 pontiac grand prix SE it has about 56,800 miles on it..about a week ago my abs light and trac off light came on...does any one know what might be wrong with it??? i checked all of my brake sensors, they are fine, i checked all of my brake pads and they are fine also, im not sure if its the alternator switch or if i just have to unplug the battery cable..so if any one could please help me out that would be greatly appreciated!!
~GTX '03

maxwedge
08-30-2006, 07:24 PM
ok...i have a 2002 pontiac grand prix SE it has about 56,800 miles on it..about a week ago my abs light and trac off light came on...does any one know what might be wrong with it??? i checked all of my brake sensors, they are fine, i checked all of my brake pads and they are fine also, im not sure if its the alternator switch or if i just have to unplug the battery cable..so if any one could please help me out that would be greatly appreciated!!
~GTX '03
Welcome to AF. You should have the abs scanned on an abs function scanner for comparative wheel speed sensor inputs, most probable cause is a wheel sensor. This will eliminate guess work as the codes and/or readings will point to the source of the problem.

gtx '03
08-31-2006, 01:05 PM
so u dont think that it would have ne thing to do with the alternator?? do u know roughly how much that will cost me to get my wheel sensors checked out??

richtazz
08-31-2006, 02:35 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with the alternator. I agree that it's most likely a wheel speed sensor (part of the hub bearing) but could be the ABS module too. You can check the hub harness with an ohm meter, they should read about 1k ohms. Visually check the vehicle end of the harnesses for broken wires or corrosion. It should cost between $40-$80 to have it scanned.

gtx '03
08-31-2006, 06:17 PM
do you know where i can get that checked out? would pontiac be able to do it?

nans_grandprix
08-31-2006, 06:59 PM
You could go to any advance auto parts store (or a car care store in your area) to get your car scanned. And it doesnt cost anything to get it done.

maxwedge
08-31-2006, 07:57 PM
You could go to any advance auto parts store (or a car care store in your area) to get your car scanned. And it doesnt cost anything to get it done.
AZ does not have a scanner that will pick up abs codes, this requires a high line scanner such as the Snap On MT2500

richtazz
09-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Agreed Max, AZ and Advance can pull engine/emissions codes, but cannot do ABS, Chassis or most Transmission codes. These require a professional type scan tool. And yes, a Pontiac dealer or good automotive repair facility can scan it for you.

BNaylor
09-01-2006, 01:26 PM
The ultimate scanner to own is a GM Tech II.

I wish I could afford one.

maxwedge
09-01-2006, 03:33 PM
The ultimate scanner to own is a GM Tech II.

I wish I could afford one.
Come on $5500, how about a Snap- On Modis, only 7k!

Add your comment to this topic!