Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 acclaim coolant leak

cupa
08-30-2006, 05:32 PM
i have a 94 plymouth acclaim,v6 with just over 100,000 miles on it.until now it has been running great.:) just recently it started to leak coolant from the drivers side of the engine,where the radiator hose connects to the motor.im hoping that it has a seal/gasket that needs replacing.:frown: any help would be appreciated.:)

KManiac
08-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Sounds to me that you have a 3.0L V6 and you have a leaking water pump. Unlike most engines that have external water pumps driven off of the fan/serpentine belts, the 3.0L V6 has an internal water pump, which is driven off the timing belt. You will find it in the timing case. Always replace the timing belt and the water pump together. Good luck and welcome to the wacky world of the 3.0L.

cupa
08-31-2006, 07:29 PM
thanks for the fast reply,i first thought that might be the problem but the leak is in the oppsite side of the water pump.the manual that i have does not show the back side of the engine,where the hose connects to the motor..im going to the dealer tomorrow to look at their engine schematic.

cupa
09-04-2006, 07:20 PM
just an update,i removed everything from the front of the engine,timing belt,motor mount,etc.just pulled the water pump out,ill leave things till tomorrow(tired).my question here is? im going to also replace that water pipe that runs inside of the engine.now am i going to be able to pull that pipe out without taking the engine out?:confused:

cupa
09-11-2006, 06:06 PM
well i finally repaired it:) i had to replace the water pump,the two pipes that run under the intake manifold,changed the timiming belt,and the intake manifold gasket.(plus my free labor:grinyes:) i wonder what the engineers at dodge were thinking of when they design that engine.:iceslolan

Add your comment to this topic!