Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power Band (GTP)

GTP420
08-30-2006, 10:29 AM
My GTP's specs are 240 horsepower at 5200 rpm and 280 lb-ft of torque at 3600 rpm. So for shifting at "the powerband".... is it worth it? and where would you reccomend i shift out of first/scnd. Thanks for any help. (this is during a race, not for every day driving). thanks again

VR43000GT
08-30-2006, 11:20 AM
No matter where you shift you will always shift in the "power band" unless your car is not running. You want to shift in the optimal spot. Never driven a GTP I could not tell you. Take it out where there is no traffic and a nice little road and practice launches, shifting, etc. The best way to learn for this sort of thing is to find out yourself by feeling it out. Although a lot of people redline in first and shift near redline after that.

Mad_Maxima
08-30-2006, 12:41 PM
The only way to find out the EXACT best point to shift would be have your car dynoed. From that you can see where your peak torque and horsepower are. Otherwise you just need to experiment. Each engine/tranny is different we can't just tell you the best RPM to shift at.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/atxsbigwalt/truestory.gif

GTP420
08-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Sounds good, thanks guys.

carrrnuttt
08-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Uhm. How are you shifting an automatic car??

The only way you are changing shift points is by reprogramming your transmission controller.

RSturbo
08-30-2006, 02:12 PM
DO NOT SHIFT YOUR AUTO! it greatly reduces the life of your trans. so i would say just put the car in drive and let it shift. Never put it in neutral and rev it then throw it in 1st its really bad for the trans.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

GTP420
08-30-2006, 03:03 PM
alrighty. I never rev in nuetral and throw it into gear.... haha I like my car i dont want it to die. lol. I was just asking because when coming out of first I can really feel a big drop in the pull. I was just seeing if it would be bennificial/not harmfull to mess with that (shifter goes 1-3). Newbie question. Last thing, my shift knob has the performance shift feature. I can tell a big diff in higher gears (the higher shift point in first doesnt seem to do much extra...) that it will pull alot faster with it on... i read somewhere that for straightaway races that its best with it off....any truth?

RSturbo
08-30-2006, 04:14 PM
I also have a preformance button on my car and it will hold the shifts till almost red line. but i think your thinking about OD. its best to have OD off when you are raceing.

I would think it would be better to have the preformance shift on then off becasue it would shift at higher rpm.

any more? were here to help!

GTP420
08-30-2006, 04:23 PM
na, its deff performance shift. no o/d button on this car... always kinda wondered. thanks guys.

Igovert500
08-31-2006, 05:19 PM
I had a sport shift button on my 90 Accord. Granted it was a 130hp honda, not a new gtp, so take this for what it's worth.
I took it to the track and did a few runs with it on and a few with it off. In theory it is supposed to prolong the shift until you reach higher rpms, it may have or may not have, I don't recall. But I do recall running the exact same times with it on or off, so at least on that car, it didn't make a difference in a 1/4 mile.

Add your comment to this topic!