Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Shift Lock Release

GTP420
08-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Ive got a 98 GTP and I was just wondering if there is anything fun to do with tihs? (shift lock release) / what exactly is it for. I know you guys will prolly get pissed about me asking a dumb question. haha but thanks in advance.

richtazz
08-30-2006, 11:39 AM
No such thing as a dumb question (as long as you don't ask it 20 times). The BTSI is a federally mandated piece of safety equipment. It seems there were a bunch of people crashing into stuff because either their rotten kids that weren't in their car seats were pulling the keys out of the ignition while the parents were driving, or they leave their kids in the car with it running or were too stupid to put their foot on the brake before shifting out of park and smashing their cars and garage doors. The Feds had to step in because stupidity isn't a crime (too bad, :biggrin: ) but the general public needed to be protected from these idiots.

GTP420
08-30-2006, 01:05 PM
So nothing fun to do with the lil thing next to the shifter? ok thanks abunch

BNaylor
08-30-2006, 01:10 PM
If you are referring to the Performance Shift pushbutton it could be fun.

GTP420
08-30-2006, 01:43 PM
haha, yaya we are well aquainted. I wish my gtp was a manual... First car and all, not a bad start i suppose tho. I need to get some pics up here, its got the ram hood with some nice subtle flames wrapped around the hood and doors.... bought it like that, so now its time to do some perf mods. Thanks Guys

silver455
09-12-2006, 02:37 PM
If you pop off the cap you can insert your key and it will let you shift out of park with the car off. Handy if you want to move the car in neutral a small amount and not have the wear and tear of starting.

Add your comment to this topic!