Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Finally got tranny rebuilt

pharm_rodeo
08-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Well, I picked my truck last Saturday after the auto tranny was rebuilt. The process took about 2 business days. After researching shops for about a month, I decided to take it to a local place that rebuilds for other shops. The owner gave me a 36 month/36,000 mile warranty to prove how much faith he had in his rebuilds. The total cost, including parts, labor, and tax was $1962. I thought that was fair b/c of the decent warranty,

When I went to pick up the truck Saturday, the owner wanted me to drive it before I actually paid for the service. Now keep in mind I’ve owned the truck since May and have only driven it about 100 miles due to tranny problems. When I got on the road and the tranny was actually shifting, I didn’t know what to do..lol. I have not owned an automatic in YEARS. I was paranoid about how it should be shifting and etc. After I paid for the service I briefly spoke to the mechanic that rebuilt my tranny. He said the internals were in bad shape. They replaced the pump, all the soft parts, cleaned everything out, and resealed it all. He said he found some rust in the tranny, which led him to believe the truck had been sitting for a while. It actually did sit for over a month, but I think the original owner may have left out some other important details.

I drove about 30 miles after I picked up the truck to get a feel for her. All of a sudden the CHECK TRANS and CHECK ENGINE light come on. I was pissed. I took it back to the shop and had the tech who rebuilt the tranny pull the code. It came back as P1870. He mentioned he was surprised that I didn’t have any trouble lights when I brought the truck in. I actually found that strange too. The manual says it should throw a code and go into back up mode. Anyhoo, he said he believed that it was a stored from the previous tranny problems. When I got the lights the tranny never went into back up and it shifted perfectly. So the tech reset the codes and they haven’t come back in over 150 miles. Knowing my luck, it won’t last long…lol.

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to update my situation. I do have some questions though.

Anyone else find the gas pedal a bit tiny? My Integra has a bigger gas pedal! Sometimes I find myself just stomping on the thing and other times I don’t apply enough gas. I guess I have to get used to it? Also, I know we don’t drive expensive luxury sedans, but do you guys feel your tranny shifting? Should you not feel the shifts at all? My tranny isn’t shifting hard or slamming into gear, but I’m used to the behavior of the slipping so I’m a bit paranoid. Is there a break in period after a rebuild? Now I just have to change out the alternator sometime later this year to be on the safe side. :screwy:

trooperbc
08-30-2006, 02:03 AM
. . . Now I just have to change out the alternator sometime later this year to be on the safe side. :screwy:

thanks for the report. . . but what do you mean above. there is no reason to change out the alternator 'just in case'. maybe if you're going off into the boonies and you've been having problems...but then you'd prob be better off just bringing and extra with you.

imho

/bc

Ramblin Fever
08-30-2006, 03:21 AM
If you're wanting to be on the safe side, in regards to the money spent on the transmission rebuilt, best thing you can do now, is to keep your cooling system in TIP TOP shape - do not allow the engine to overheat, as it will overheat transmission as well, then you're back to square one.

I've just recently spent this whole last year, little by little, totally updating my cooling system, i.e. new hoses, thermostat, coolant, waterpump, and just last week put in a new radiator - haven't experienced any issues, but I've heard plastic/OEM radiators are typically only good for 150k/9-10yrs of service.

Not sure what you mean by feeling it shift? Yes, I do feel mine shift, it's very smooth and consistently accurate. Sometimes it shifts slightly rougher, i.e. giving it full throttle, which I only do on rare occasions.

Congrat's on your rebuild, hopefully it lasts a long time.

2000izusu
08-30-2006, 07:54 AM
it is hard to find a good trans rebuild shop. the rebuild is usually only as good as the rebuilder who only usually replaces the minimal parts. sounds like, with your guys warranty, he is confident that it will last. now it is up to you to keep the fluid changed. i have never heard of that long of a warranty in trans rebuilding, i think you may have lucked out. keep us posted!

Gizmo42
08-30-2006, 10:12 AM
it is hard to find a good trans rebuild shop

Just ask protetype on planetisuzoo. Transmission #4 or #5 is going in his rodeo on thursday (all within the last few months). They cant seem to get one that works right. Luckily his is all being covered under warrenty, but that also means the warrenty company picks the shop.

2000izusu
08-30-2006, 10:39 AM
i think what is going on is there are so many different automatics out today it is very hard to become good at rebuilding all of the different models. if you have a model that didn't sell well, with an obscure auto then watch out at the rebuild shop! (aamco in particular) and the future doesn't look much better with six, seven, and eight speed autos (what are they thinking? i know gas mileage). the people that buy the cars new aren't effected (they usually trade in 3 years) it is the people that hang on to their cars or buy used that are paying the price! thats why i go manual when ever i can! a clutch every 100,000 is nothing compared to electronic land in todays auto's! thanks for listening to my rant! mike

p.s and what is up with manufactures coming out with new automatic tranmission models every 3-4 years? that will really insure a crappy rebuild in the future!

pharm_rodeo
08-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Not sure what you mean by feeling it shift? Yes, I do feel mine shift, it's very smooth and consistently accurate. Sometimes it shifts slightly rougher, i.e. giving it full throttle, which I only do on rare occasions

I just meant should I feel anything at all? It shifts perfectly, but since I really haven't driven an auto in such a long time I don't know what people consider "smooth" shifting. I hope that made sense.:biggrin: I remember driving my aunt's Lexus years ago, and I didn't feel a thing when it shifted. Apples and oranges I guess.

it is hard to find a good trans rebuild shop.

I couldn't agree more. That's one of the reasons my truck sat for so long. I was searching for a decent shop. Unfortunately, it was hard to find a shop what was familiar with our tranny. I assume it would be hard for a shop know everything about every particular make.

Tom01Rodeo
08-31-2006, 01:14 AM
I just meant should I feel anything at all? It shifts perfectly, but since I really haven't driven an auto in such a long time I don't know what people consider "smooth" shifting. I hope that made sense.:biggrin: I remember driving my aunt's Lexus years ago, and I didn't feel a thing when it shifted. Apples and oranges I guess.

I couldn't agree more. That's one of the reasons my truck sat for so long. I was searching for a decent shop. Unfortunately, it was hard to find a shop what was familiar with our tranny. I assume it would be hard for a shop know everything about every particular make.

Did you ever check into a factory Isuzu rebuilt tranny? I wonder how much they are and what kind of warranty?

Ramblin Fever
08-31-2006, 01:59 AM
I remember driving my aunt's Lexus years ago, and I didn't feel a thing when it shifted.

Well, I grew up in 4x4 country, all we ever had were 5-spds; and to be honest, my only 2 automatics have been my 2 Rodeo's (well aside from the Dodge Diesel tow rig, but haven't had it as long, nor drive it as much).

My '91 Rodeo was a clunker from the word go, strong and abrupt shift points - we nick-named it the "clunker"; was a great truck to ride in and never had any tranny issues the whole time we owned it, 11yrs and 150k+ but it did shift with a "kick".

My '97 Rodeo has the exact same transmission, only differences are it's mated to a bit more powerful engine, running bigger tires and it's a 4x2 versus the '91 being the 4x4.

We had the luxury of owning both of these trucks at the same time, having purchased both new; the '91 Rodeo had right at 80k or so when we bought the '97, and you could feel a difference from the word go. The '97 was/still is smoother then the '91; but even still, if you hook up the 4k# boat in our yard, kick it into Powermode, you'll feel her shift - but not with the "kick" or "clunk".

Hope this helps somewhat.

pharm_rodeo
08-31-2006, 04:39 AM
Did you ever check into a factory Isuzu rebuilt tranny? I wonder how much they are and what kind of warranty?

I didn't know they were available. Most dealers just contract out to local tranny shops for rebuilds or remans. I got an estimate on a Jasper reman in the neighborhood of $2540. That does not include the installation. If I had the money I would have gone with a Jasper reman, but tuition was a bit more important. :shakehead So I would estimate that it would run close to $3500 for tranny and install on a Jasper. My truck is only worth $4700 with working tranny. I honestly don't know if I am going to keep my truck for the entire life of my current tranny warranty. At least gas prices have dropped a bit. I read that prices might get back to $2 by November. I remember when gas was $.99 a gallon when I was in high school. :eek:

2000izusu
08-31-2006, 06:47 AM
remanufactured trans from the original manufacture (i.e G.M., izusu...) are usually great in terms of reliability. when they reman them they usually include all the updated parts!

Add your comment to this topic!