Little tips you have learnt the hard way!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

jswillmon
01-02-2005, 10:14 PM
look, mum, I've got a sticky pair of throusers!"

:spit:

lilbudman
01-02-2005, 11:37 PM
look, mum, I've got a sticky pair of throusers!"

Yes that usually happens the hard way. :cwm27:

chacal
01-03-2005, 07:01 AM
Even at 3+ years old, this is still one of the best threads in this forum. :sunglasse

I'll bet :2cents: that everyone that reads this thread starts out thinking "Well, duh. That's a pretty stupid mistake," and moments later goes, "Oh, crap. Yeah, I did that, too..."

;)

Read this whole thread. Learn from each other's mistakes, everyone! Save yourself the heartache!! :grinyes:

Even if you just want a chuckle, and a few gasps of horror, read it again anyway. :p

Yeah! I was into modelling when I was young (mostly military airplanes) and I have done a lot of those mistakes (foggy canopies were my favorite).

Now I am back to modelling... Lesson: if you get rid of a hobby, don't come back... it'll be worse second time around! :biggrin:

One mistake I learnt when I was aircraft modelling: don't be too perfect. Military aircrafts (or vehicles) aren't perfect! You don't want them to be shinning like new - you'll get a model wich looks like a toy! The same goes to bulldozers and... some racing cars, especially the oldest. For a lot of time the racing cars were built just for that - racing. Most of them had just a very thin paint coat and even a good share of orange peeling! If you want autenticity, you don't want those cars to be shinning like a new Rolls Royce!

RallyRaider
01-03-2005, 07:15 AM
YOU CAN NOT SLOW YOUR DREMEL TOOL DOWN SLOW ENOUGH TO MIX PAINT

:lol2: I still laugh when I think of this one. :lol2:

When you're drilling through a part, don't hold it with your fingers underneath. Drilling a 0.3mm hole in your finger tip can get red stuff over things you may not want red stuff over.

RallyFanatic
01-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Never glue anything together on carpet, and leave the tube open afterwards. If you do feel the need to do so, don't do it in a house that isn't yours. And even if this is hard to follow, and oyu end up glueing in someone else's house on the carpet, do it in a corner.

Because my landlady lifted the plant i have in the middle of my room and found a whopping great big hardened glue stain.
Does anyone have a place where i can sleep the next month? :1zhelp:

MidMazar
01-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Never use air brush thinner to take off paint off a model, excpecially around thin plastic. It will break!!

1986Z28
01-04-2005, 12:32 PM
1)a little slip of the knife can hurt ALOT!!!(six stiches)

2)left my flat white paint open, left for a little while and my cat spilled it all over(including my chair), then i go back and sit down(wasnt paying attention), gueess what i had white paint all over my a**

cfcrules
01-04-2005, 01:44 PM
The worst mistake I've made was to put a freshly painted white corvette on the table whil tidying up, and putting a cloth on it. It took 6 hours to sand the paint off.

Also when using superglue, do not put your fingers too close to your mouth, I stuck my teeth together doing that

chacal
01-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Also when using superglue, do not put your fingers too close to your mouth, I stuck my teeth together doing that
How did you ask for help? :biggrin:

Dr.AK
01-08-2005, 04:08 PM
How did you ask for help? :biggrin:

"Mmmmnng! Mnnhhng!!"
:D :biggrin:

chacal
01-11-2005, 02:21 PM
One I forgot:
DON'T leave your freshly painted model near a heater to dry... I did it once with an airplane and I got a nice banana jetfighter :disappoin

Just let it dry naturally!

robrex
01-11-2005, 10:34 PM
The worst mistake I've made was to put a freshly painted white corvette on the table whil tidying up, and putting a cloth on it. It took 6 hours to sand the paint off.

:lol2:I worked with a girl who tried opening a stuck lid on Superglue with her teeth! Yep, she glued her lips together!

Amazon
01-12-2005, 08:12 PM
^
Proof that bosses always employs the most competent person,right? ;)

Add your comment to this topic!