Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

timing a 96 chevy pickup 350 vortech

pjr1957
08-25-2002, 09:55 AM
I put new intake gaskets on my 96 chevy pickup W/350 and was told by our GM dealer that to set the timing, I needed to put the distributor back within 3-5 degrees of where I removed it so the computer would adjust the timing right or the check engine light would come on. The older models had a wire to disconnect to override the computer. Does anyone have any input on this? It's hard to believe that stabbing the distributor by guess and by golly is the way to do this.

japs
06-05-2003, 01:38 PM
I replact my intake gaskits a year ago and I put the distributer back ohw I pulled it out and the computer self times it and hadnt had any problems with it so far

ChevyDriver4Life
06-10-2003, 01:35 AM
I've got a '94 k1500. I'm not sure if the setup is quite the same, but to set the timing, you have to override the computer by disconnecting a black and tan wire, which is either near the fuse block on the firewall, or under the glovebox, which is where mine is located. Once that is done, the computer will be unable to adjust the timing and you are free to set it to 0 degrees. Just be sure to connect the wire when you're done.

Flatrater
06-16-2003, 09:23 PM
On the 1996 350 the distributor is located in a fixed, non-adjustable position. Ignition timing is preset and cannot be adjusted.

Waxer
01-07-2004, 08:12 PM
I put new intake gaskets on my 96 chevy pickup W/350 and was told by our GM dealer that to set the timing, I needed to put the distributor back within 3-5 degrees of where I removed it so the computer would adjust the timing right or the check engine light would come on. The older models had a wire to disconnect to override the computer. Does anyone have any input on this? It's hard to believe that stabbing the distributor by guess and by golly is the way to do this.
In order to properly set the timing on this model of Chevrolet you must achieve a timing curve of 20 degrees at 2000rpm, this is acomplished by
using a Tech 2 scan tool. (Any Chevrolet dealership has at least one of these) You will observe the scan tool data display mode, your engine timing will show up in degrees. Accelerate to 2000 rpm and hold it there,
check timing on scan tool and adjust it to 20 degrees by turning your distributor either clockwise or counter.

Add your comment to this topic!