Heater Inlet hose...how to remove

jonphelps1976
08-25-2006, 08:37 PM
2000 5.3 z71.

Heater inlet hose bused and truck subsequeny overheated.

This is the separate hose / different from the main assembly. My question is how to remove the bracket near the firewall. It's a plastic assembly that the hose fits inside of. I've twisted, turned and bloodied my knuckles...still won't come off...

Thanks.

jonphelps1976
08-26-2006, 10:52 AM
The plastic thing I referenced above is the "quick connect fitting". I now know what it is, but I still don't know how to remove it...

rhandwor
09-09-2006, 03:15 PM
I think if you check with a parts store for calvan or lisle tools they will sell you a tool fairly cheap. At least cheaper than paying a dealer. Snap on ,Mac or matco will cost you a good buck.They look like some of the fuel disconnect tools. I saw some on ebay for around$5.00

rhandwor
09-13-2006, 04:00 PM
I looked on ebay typed hose heater tool. The listing for 10 tools had one for $4.95. This will show you what it looks like. Measure the diameter and check at the hardware for some plastic pipe with the same I.D. cut it about 1" long.Then cut it in half lengthwise. Side this in back of the hose and tape it.
Then take a crescent wrench set against the tubing and pull it towards you. This is against the split tubing.
When removing heater hose take a stanley knife and slit the hose then take a screwdriver and put the blade where you cut and twist to open up the hose.
I purchased a J Kent Moore tool. j43181 is a tool number.
The old 3.8 chevys used a similar tool look for this at a parts store.
The tool for air cond hose removal is almost identical and I bought a set at a yard sale for $3.00
Their is a spring or ring which locks this piece. When you push this spring or ring forward their is enough room to push it over a raised up place in the heater outlet then the unit pulls off. Lisle makes A.C. tools for the same type of connectors. They come in a set. They do this to get you into the service shop and sell tools.

edj0527
09-20-2006, 01:59 PM
I looked on ebay typed hose heater tool. The listing for 10 tools had one for $4.95. This will show you what it looks like. Measure the diameter and check at the hardware for some plastic pipe with the same I.D. cut it about 1" long.Then cut it in half lengthwise. Side this in back of the hose and tape it.
Then take a crescent wrench set against the tubing and pull it towards you. This is against the split tubing.
When removing heater hose take a stanley knife and slit the hose then take a screwdriver and put the blade where you cut and twist to open up the hose.
I purchased a J Kent Moore tool. j43181 is a tool number.
The old 3.8 chevys used a similar tool look for this at a parts store.
The tool for air cond hose removal is almost identical and I bought a set at a yard sale for $3.00
Their is a spring or ring which locks this piece. When you push this spring or ring forward their is enough room to push it over a raised up place in the heater outlet then the unit pulls off. Lisle makes A.C. tools for the same type of connectors. They come in a set. They do this to get you into the service shop and sell tools.

Yep it worked. spent about 10 dollars on a tool and the COnnector came right off in my hands with no force needed at all. Once it came out I verified the core was ok. Had to buy the New connector from a chevy dealer ($27.08) popped it on and hooked the hoses up. Workes like a charm now.

Thanks for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!