Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is the tranny giving up?

hassanbigboss
08-25-2006, 05:00 PM
I have been noticing a little jerk in the tranny specially when the transmission warms up. What I mean by that is whenever I would slow down in traffic to a speed of 15-20 miles and gave the car gas, the car would jerk a little bit and go. It was not a slip but somewhat of a 0.2 - 0.4 second of a delay between the time I press the gas and the time for the clutch to engage. But once the cluth engages the car gets up and going just fine. I expereince this only when in the 2nd gear and not during shifts. But again maybe the jerk is during the shift but I wouldnt know. Is this kind of behavior normal for a 120,000 mile tranny? I wish I could explain this a little better but hopefully someone will understand.

By the way I got the tranny flushed today and that has helped a lot but I think that the little jolt/shock that I expereince with the tranny might still be there. Please help

Toysrme
08-25-2006, 07:13 PM
If it has a Throttle Valve cable (kick-down) adjust it.

hassanbigboss
08-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Yes it does uses a wire to open the throttle. How do I kick it down? I do know what you are talking about though Toysrme but I do not know exactly how to kick it down as you said. Please elaborate

hassanbigboss
09-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Soooo..........anyone???

DFBonnett
09-02-2006, 07:46 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it is not a transmission problem, but rather a gummed up IAC valve. Our '93 exhibited the same symptoms and the cure was removing the IAC and hosing it out with carb cleaner.
FWIW
YMMV

oakfloor
09-02-2006, 07:06 PM
O.K. can anyone tell us where to find The "IAC" valve? and the link to adjust the throttle valve cable. Thanks

DFBonnett
09-02-2006, 07:44 PM
http://oregonstate.edu/~tongt/camry/index.html

davemac2
09-03-2006, 02:46 PM
You don't mention what year and model you have. Is this an automatic? If it has a throttle cable, then I assume it's a '93 or earlier. The throttle pressure cable is attached to the TB at the same place as the throttle cable itself. The adjustment is simply like a bicycle brake cable setup.

http://s88514447.onlinehome.us/throttle_cable_adj.jpg

Sometimes what happens with the throttle cable is that the lower ferrule portion of the cable sheath can break which then applies more tension on the inner cable and more throttle pressure, or the inner cable can bind. The only way to know that is to remove the battery tray and have a look at the cable where it enters the tranny. If you can, get yourself a transmission test gauge and hook it up to check your line pressure when this happens and the pressure when idle, etc. It is very simple to hook up (access is usually from the driver's side wheel well) thru a test port. You can tape the gauge to your windshield when testing it. It can tell you immediately if the line pressure and/or throttle cable is within spec.

Trans Test Gauge (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Automatic-Transmission-Engine-Oil-Pressure-Tester_W0QQitemZ160024441489QQihZ006QQcategoryZ439 89QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

cheers,

davemc

hassanbigboss
09-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks davemac

Add your comment to this topic!