Blower Motor Works Intermittently

GirlieGirlAlie
08-25-2006, 01:36 PM
I've talked to a few people about this, but no one's really given me a clear answer. Obviously, my blower motor only works from time to time. I'll explain as clearly as I can... For example, when starting my car ('99 manual Chevy Cav), no air will come out of the vents no matter what setting I turn it to or what setting it was on when I turned off the car. I'll drive for a few minutes and eventually it'll kick on. I usually leave it on the highest setting so I'll know when it's on. Anyways, it'll blow at the rate it's supposed to for 30 seconds to a minute, and then it'll fade out to nothing again. This repeats itself pretty much the whole time I'm driving, but it's not in constant intervals. Occasionally it'll kick on and it'll blow at half of what it's supposed to at the highest setting and that'll last for a few seconds and then it'll go off again.

I've heard that it could be the blower motor itself, the engine temperature sensor, the wiring, etc., and I'm just looking for some more opinions. I don't know if any of you have experienced this problem before. I'm looking to avoid taking it into the shop. I've been told by the guy who usually works on our cars to hit the underside of the glove compartment when it goes off to see if it can more or less jump start the motor, but obviously I can't do that while I'm driving. I'm going to have my boyfriend take a quick drive with me tonight so he can do it for me and we'll see what that does.

If, in fact, it IS the blower motor, how hard is it to fix yourself? :P

Young Chuck D
08-25-2006, 04:57 PM
I've talked to a few people about this, but no one's really given me a clear answer. Obviously, my blower motor only works from time to time. I'll explain as clearly as I can... For example, when starting my car ('99 manual Chevy Cav), no air will come out of the vents no matter what setting I turn it to or what setting it was on when I turned off the car. I'll drive for a few minutes and eventually it'll kick on. I usually leave it on the highest setting so I'll know when it's on. Anyways, it'll blow at the rate it's supposed to for 30 seconds to a minute, and then it'll fade out to nothing again. This repeats itself pretty much the whole time I'm driving, but it's not in constant intervals. Occasionally it'll kick on and it'll blow at half of what it's supposed to at the highest setting and that'll last for a few seconds and then it'll go off again.

I've heard that it could be the blower motor itself, the engine temperature sensor, the wiring, etc., and I'm just looking for some more opinions. I don't know if any of you have experienced this problem before. I'm looking to avoid taking it into the shop. I've been told by the guy who usually works on our cars to hit the underside of the glove compartment when it goes off to see if it can more or less jump start the motor, but obviously I can't do that while I'm driving. I'm going to have my boyfriend take a quick drive with me tonight so he can do it for me and we'll see what that does.

If, in fact, it IS the blower motor, how hard is it to fix yourself? :P

as hard as buying a pair of mechanic gloves, a repair manual, and a blower motor... might take you an hour or two...

nightflyr
09-14-2006, 12:44 PM
I would guess either your blower motor is dying a slow death (easy fix), your blower motor resistor has gone bad (easy fix), or my last guess(s) would be the fan switch itself.

My blower motor failed on speeds 1 & 2 but worked on 3 &4. This turned out to be the blower motor resistor. The blower motor and blower motor resistor are both easy fixes, located under the passenger side dash. Take off the cover under the dash (just a couple of screws) and you can see the blower motor held in by three screws (wire harness on back). Behind that is resistor with two screws and wire harness. If either of those is your problem, its an easy fix/replace.

jakegday
09-14-2006, 06:41 PM
haha, who told you the engine temperature sensor?? im gonna guess its the motor itself, or the switch, this does not sound like a resistor problem

as hard as buying a pair of mechanic gloves, a repair manual, and a blower motor... might take you an hour or two...
and you dont even NEED the gloves or manual, its acutally pretty simple

Add your comment to this topic!