Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 alero egr problems

9028der
08-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Need help on code P0404= EGR flow Range/ Performance. i have already changed the EGR. any ideas what to do next to fix this code

BNaylor
08-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Welcome to AF.

Which engine do you have?

You might consider checking the PCM reference voltage at the EGR connector plug and then see if the pintle position signal is getting to the PCM module. Also, after replacing a EGR valve you'll need a scanner to reset and clear the old code.

9028der
08-25-2006, 09:35 PM
It is a 3500.... I have reset the code, and it returned. I will check the voltage at the PCM, but how do I know if the pintle is adjusted right?

BNaylor
08-25-2006, 09:48 PM
It is a 3500.... I have reset the code, and it returned. I will check the voltage at the PCM, but how do I know if the pintle is adjusted right?

Then try this relearn procedure. It will have to relearn the pintle closed position. Do not reset with a scanner if you are getting P0404 or P1404 before running this procedure:

With engine off, disconnect the electrical connector to EGR valve, take key to on, reset DTC error codes with scanner and immediately take the key to off position. Then re-connect electrical connector for EGR and take the key back to on.

The best place to check voltages is at the connector for the EGR valve. The PCM is harder to check since it is located under the driver's side of the dash.

Add your comment to this topic!