tempo wants to shut off when put in drive

dmc67
08-24-2006, 12:28 PM
I have a 93 Tempo A/T and everytime i put it in gear it will sputter a lil bit and shut off if i put it in N and rev it a lil bit it will be fine for a few mins and does the samething.

Danny

reekor
08-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Sounds like a bad intake air control valve.

I have a 93 Tempo A/T and everytime i put it in gear it will sputter a lil bit and shut off if i put it in N and rev it a lil bit it will be fine for a few mins and does the samething.

Danny

dmc67
08-25-2006, 11:23 AM
ok thanks, every morning i gotta crank crank crank crank and crank the SOB to get it started what could that be? once it starts it will start fine till it sits over night and then hard as heck to start again.

reekor
08-25-2006, 08:08 PM
That could be a few things. Worn distributor cap/rotor, bad ignition module, bad ignition coil, bad intake air control valve, bad coolant sensor are a few possibilities. Is the check engine light on? Even if itís not you might want to have the car scanned and do a KOER test to help pinpoint the problem.

ok thanks, every morning i gotta crank crank crank crank and crank the SOB to get it started what could that be? once it starts it will start fine till it sits over night and then hard as heck to start again.

dmc67
08-25-2006, 11:40 PM
No the check engine light is not on. what toold do i need to scan it? I also got a Mitsubishi Eclipse and they make a datalogger for them cars where ya can use a Palm Pilot and read the codes. anything like that for the Tempo's?

the ditributor, rotor button and all the stuff is good. Just been replaced.

reekor
08-26-2006, 05:09 AM
Using a scan tool is just about most simple way of scanning the car, The Equus OBD-1 Ford Scan Tool 3145 is faily cheap. Ebay is full of scan tools that will do the Ford EEC-IV / MCU Systems it only depends on how much you are willing to spend. Or you can try this
http://zenseeker.net/4x4/EECIV.htm

Since your car has a check engine light, you do not need to hookup a volt meter, just count the check engine light flashed.

No the check engine light is not on. what toold do i need to scan it? I also got a Mitsubishi Eclipse and they make a datalogger for them cars where ya can use a Palm Pilot and read the codes. anything like that for the Tempo's?

the ditributor, rotor button and all the stuff is good. Just been replaced.

dmc67
08-26-2006, 08:12 AM
The only time the check engine light is on is when it stalls out. I will try that and see if I got any codes.

Add your comment to this topic!