Frozen Ignition Key

Scale-Master
08-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Has anyone here experienced their Vue ignition locking up?

Only happens when trying to start and is intermittent, but it happened twice at the dealers with the service writer and technician and me watching. Figured that was a good thing to have it actually happen there.

My 06 Redline Vue came with only one key. The dealer cut a "copy" from the VIN, and after the first time it was used, the key stopped working. I compared to the one original, it was a totally different key, I'm surprised it even worked the first time.
Within a few weeks the ignition switch stopped working, we only used the original key except for that one time, but the damage had been done.

The ignition lock cylinder was replaced, and one week later it completely froze up. Now the dealer says it is common. " All Vues even brand new intermittently freeze or lock up disallowing any rotation of the key within the lock." But if you fiddle with it will work again.

I know they originally messed it up with the wrong key, and even said they changed the cylinder, but this sure sounds like total B.S.
BTW, it's only after having the car for three days and not doing any work on it that this "conclusion" was reached by the dealer.

Any comments welcome. Thanks.

PlayStation3
08-26-2006, 06:27 PM
trying going to another dealer or try a mechinc that knows about that kind of stuff

HAWG
08-28-2006, 10:05 AM
take it back to your dealer. there is a tsb to repair this problem.

Scale-Master
09-06-2006, 01:01 PM
After fighting with them for weeks, they finally replaced the parts they damaged. It works now. This was not a case of a manufacturing defect, they cut a bad key and it ruined the switch.
Sadly we like the car, but do not have any faith that if another situation arises that Saturn will do anything to help.
Worst car company I have ever dealt with. Better pray your Saturn is a good car. The dealer did more damage every time we left it with them, and refused to fix the problem that caused for almost two months. Even Saturn corporate was no help, just lip service. And all the Saturn dealers near us are owned by the same people. So we are stuck with it all.

mjp1980s
07-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Hey, I just bought an '02 Vue and I had this problem. I was getting ready to go buy insurance (lol...). I came into the house to check these forums and call the dealership, when I went back out to the car it started no problem.

After calling the dealer it looks like they have another key, and I am wondering if its the same deal as you had.

snakelda
10-04-2007, 12:27 AM
I also have a problem with my Saturn.I can't turn it on because the steering wheel is really hard and no matter how hard I turn it,it won't budge unless I press really hard to the right.I was told my switch doesn't work anymore?Is that true or is my key faulty?It's been great for about a year and the only bad thing about the car is that multiple people have tried to break into it.

cmhj2000
10-04-2007, 05:11 AM
Issues like this can really turn off a person. It's too bad we have dealers that'll try to cover the truth but we do. That's partially why the lemon law came into effect.

Scale-Master
10-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Are you parking your car with the front wheels turned, or with a "load" on the steering wheel? Occasionally we'll park after making a turn and it can create the same effect. It can happen in any car with locking steering.

The Lemon Law was a bargaining tool for us, but both Saturn corporate and the Saturn dealer were trying to make it as difficult as they could and draw it out as long as they could, apparently hoping we'd just go away. I know it sounds illogical, especially since it seemed to be a fine vehicle before they broke it.
I won't buy another Saturn because of the way we were treated. Otherwise the vehicle seems good.

snakelda
10-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Are you parking your car with the front wheels turned, or with a "load" on the steering wheel? Occasionally we'll park after making a turn and it can create the same effect. It can happen in any car with locking steering.

The Lemon Law was a bargaining tool for us, but both Saturn corporate and the Saturn dealer were trying to make it as difficult as they could and draw it out as long as they could, apparently hoping we'd just go away. I know it sounds illogical, especially since it seemed to be a fine vehicle before they broke it.
I won't buy another Saturn because of the way we were treated. Otherwise the vehicle seems good.never really checked on this but I'm pretty sure I park it with wheels straight since I go up a hill and go straight.Mine is really really really hard and I can hardly push it to the right and turn the keys at the same time.I was told it was a switch.

Add your comment to this topic!