Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 accord shifting problem

murlybird
08-24-2006, 09:13 AM
I need help diagnosing this problem with my 1996 accord dx. When I drive the car it is having issues with shifting, (4 cyl. w/ automatic transmission). As I accelerate, it revs really high before shifting into second. As the car warms up, the problem subsides, but it is still not quite right. This problem seems to have just started happening over the last couple of weeks. I changed the tranny fluid 2 years and 18,000 miles ago, using only the Honda fluid and additive from the dealership. I did not do the drain/refill 3 times procedure, instead I just drained and refilled once. The current fluid level is good, and does not smell or look burned. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jeffcoslacker
08-24-2006, 09:49 AM
I need help diagnosing this problem with my 1996 accord dx. When I drive the car it is having issues with shifting, (4 cyl. w/ automatic transmission). As I accelerate, it revs really high before shifting into second. As the car warms up, the problem subsides, but it is still not quite right. This problem seems to have just started happening over the last couple of weeks. I changed the tranny fluid 2 years and 18,000 miles ago, using only the Honda fluid and additive from the dealership. I did not do the drain/refill 3 times procedure, instead I just drained and refilled once. The current fluid level is good, and does not smell or look burned. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Your vacuum modulator (affects 1-2 upshift) is sucking air...find the supply line (large vacuum line running from the intake manifold to the modulator, near the tranny pan)

If either end is deteriorated, replace it. Pull the tranny end of the line off the modulator, and see if there's any oily residue or fluid drips...if so, the modulator's diaphragm is holed, replace the unit. Very simple, R+R operation, just remove, replace, and refill fluid, and you'll be set..

BeZerK2112
08-24-2006, 09:58 AM
I had the exact same problem! The problem was that the previous owner never changed the tranny fluid.

Check your fluid to see if you see any particles floating around in it. The way the shop explined it to me was there was a rubber piece that needed to be lubricated that, with the old fluid low, deteriated. As the car heated up it expanded and made tranny work properly. I ended up replacing the tranny myself for 500 bucks. Perchased it and installed it. Worked great.
Good luck! If you have any questions just ask.

jeffcoslacker
08-24-2006, 10:04 AM
...Did some checking, and my source is not showing a vac modulator for your year...but that doesn't always mean it's not there, might just be no listing for the part...

Your symptoms are CLASSIC modulator leakage...I'd look anyway.

One other thing...if no modulator, it may use a transhift cable, which runs from the throttle body down to the tranny...if out of adjustment, they can sometime emulate the symptoms of a modulator problem...if you have a service manual, check the procedure for adjustment...it's usually very simple, but VERY specific...if you mess up on the measurements, you'll really see some wild shifting problems...

If none of this, it's a valve body or upshift solenoid fault, get a couple of estimates and compare before comitting to it...

jeffcoslacker
08-24-2006, 10:10 AM
About the transhift cable (if it uses one), if you feel brave, you can always experiment with a known amount of adjustment if you can't find the exact procedure...

I.E. change the cable length by 1/2 turn in one direction, drive it, see if it feels better or worse, then either put it back or keep going a little at a time until it feels right. Just use very small adjustments each time, and keep close track of what you've done (don't try to keep it in your head, trust me, you'll get confused), so that if nothing else, you can return it back to the original adjustment point...

jeffcoslacker
08-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Whatever you do, don't decide to do nothing...it may seem driveable but annoying, but the slip and shift shock will ruin the clutchpack pretty quick, and you'll be in for a much more costly repair...

murlybird
08-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions, I will begin the diagnostic process today, and keep you posted.

Add your comment to this topic!