Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help, headlight probs on a GT =(

maerkele
08-24-2006, 12:38 AM
Hello other Beretta loving/hating people.

It was so good to find a forum that talks about Berettas after the battle I'm having with mine tonight.

The car: a beautiful '89 Beretta GT, complete with electric-everything, including digital dash; 186,000 odd km, very well loved and maintained. My first car.

The problem: Suddenly the headlights have stopped working. Both of them at once. The running/fog lights are alright, turning signals ok, rear lights working perfectly. I will go to click the headlights on, while the car is running (and also tried when it is not running) and they will not come on, nor is the high-beam light showing up when I try that.

It is frusterating to live in a big city and suddenly not able to go out at night to get gas or work. This is really stressin' me out. The prospect of going to a mechanic and being charged hundreds for such a simple problem is daunting too.

I know little about cars but I did open up the hood, check electrical connections, pulled fuses and checked them, ensured that the bulbs were not burnt out, just anything I could, and of course nothing helped or seemed amiss.

Has any one else run into this problem with your chevys or Berettas? Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

Worried about my baby =S

-M

richtazz
08-24-2006, 08:35 AM
It's most likely a bad headlight switch or dimmer switch. When the dimmer switch fails, it can get stuck between high and low, and neither lights work. It's also possible that both lights failed simultaneously. Have you tested the bulbs to be sure they work?

maerkele
08-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Aha, thanks for the response. The bubs I tested first, though was skeptical 'cause both lights went at the same time. Dimmer switch? really? They haynes manual mentioned replacing the switch but not much info. is it hard to find a new one? Both solutions sound semi-easy --relieved :)

its funny because worse tihngs could happen to the 'retta for sure but in its own little way, this pain in the @$$ is one of those things.

Thanks!

It's most likely a bad headlight switch or dimmer switch. When the dimmer switch fails, it can get stuck between high and low, and neither lights work. It's also possible that both lights failed simultaneously. Have you tested the bulbs to be sure they work?

powerinit
08-24-2006, 10:28 AM
I have the same problem with my 88', when you click the lights on, they don't come on, but when I click mine on it makes my gauges and stereo cut out. I'm gonna try replacing the headlight/dimmer switch also, because I was told before like richtazz told you that the switch could be bad. Hope you get yours fixed! good luck and if ya can post here saying if it worked, cause I haven't tried it yet, thanks

jbmx4life
08-26-2006, 10:11 PM
the switches are notorious for creating probs. I got an 89GT and when I would move the dimmer wheel over to turn the interior lights on it would kill the dash until I turned it back. I solved that prob by taking it apart, clean the wheel springs/contacts, and cleaned the board they contact. I also used some 2000 grit sand paper to clean up the contacts on the wheel. After that, no prob. This is prolly the same thing that is happening to you guys cuz the headlights and signal lights have their own little contacts also and my are gunked full of grease crap. If ya need a pic LMK cuz I got an extra switch.

Add your comment to this topic!