Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Camry Woes, part 2

poorlady
08-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Replacing the front seals did not stop the oil leak. It still pumps out when the car is running. My husband now believes the rear seal is what is leaking. He will of course be using the manual, but I was just looking to see if there is anything extra he should know about that the manual doesn't discuss. I would greatly appreciate any and all help.

Brian R.
08-24-2006, 02:36 AM
There should be alot of difference between where the oil leaks for a front seal vs a rear seal. If the oil is leaking from the front of the engine, then stay up front.

What makes you think it might be the rear seal? What seal anyway, the crank seal, cam seal? transmission shaft? what?

poorlady
08-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi Brian,

My husband has been claiming it's the rear seals (between motor & transmission) before replacing the front seals. And when the leak wasn't gone after doing all that work, he proclaimed he was right after all! The leak is on the drivers side, about nine inches away from the tire. More near the center of the car. Would you have any suggestions? I told him after searching the site that a suggestion could be the oil pressure sensor, but he says it's not near the leak. Thanks

Brian R.
08-24-2006, 04:04 PM
What is dripping? engine oil? Transmission fluid?

idmetro
08-24-2006, 05:00 PM
How about the oring seal on the distributor shaft? That would be pretty close to the area you describe and could run down the side, drip off the bottom of the bellhousing making it look like it's coming from the rear seal. First step I'd suggest is a thorough engine cleaning (ok so I admit I almost never do them) but it would greatly help in pinpointing the source of the leak.

poorlady
08-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Your not going to believe this. An arguement helped solve the problem. I was frustrated with the whole car thing and stated that everything was fine (oil wise) until he cleaned out the throttle, egr and some vacuum hoses. The light went off! We started it up and pulled out the dip stick and unbelievably nothing was leaking!! It was a clogged P___ something hose. There was too much pressure and the oil was finding a way out. Hopefully me and the car can become friends again. I don't know if it heard everything I said about it.:lol: Thanks everyone for your help. (Starting with the stalling problem weeks and weeks ago.)

Brian R.
08-24-2006, 11:33 PM
PCV

Change the PCV valve if you haven't already

poorlady
08-25-2006, 12:01 AM
In my earlier searches I came across the valve as a suspect. My husband says there isn't one. Can you tell me where to find it?

Brian R.
08-25-2006, 02:51 AM
Well, he may be right. The 4-cylinders don't have a PCV valve. The 6-cylinder PCV valve is in the rear valve cover, attached to a 3/4 in vacuum hose.

Add your comment to this topic!