Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

squeeking when i move

98gpking
08-23-2006, 08:26 PM
ok this is rediculous and is only getting worse. i just bought the grand prix its a 2000 GTP with 95k on it. when i drive at like 5-10 its quiet but the faster i go it squeeks. it squeeks as i move faster and squeeks less as i move slower. i cant tell if its coming from the fron or the rear. my guess is its the brakes slightly rubbing on the rotor cause when i push the brakes the squeeking is gone. how can i fix this annoying squeek its getting louder and louder now.

fastGTP01
08-23-2006, 09:10 PM
it could possibly be it needs new brake pads. on alot of brake pads, when the pad gets low it will squeek to give a warning to get new pads. it has like a little tab that slighlty rubs on the rotor, to make that sound.

98gpking
08-23-2006, 09:12 PM
it could possibly be it needs new brake pads. on alot of brake pads, when the pad gets low it will squeek to give a warning to get new pads. it has like a little tab that slighlty rubs on the rotor, to make that sound.

thats what i figured...so after scrounging through my car looking for my rim lock. i looked at the pads and they must have recently been replaced im guessing 75% or more left. im thinking just cheap pads. but its weird when i push the breaks theres no squeeking at all. so i dunno

richtazz
08-24-2006, 08:18 AM
The other thing it could be is a hub bearing going bad. They will either squeak or grind as they fail. The rears seem to squeak more, the fronts seem to grind more.

BNaylor
08-24-2006, 08:23 AM
It sounds like poor quality pads or a flaky rotor to me. Whoever did the brake job before you bought it probably screwed the job up.

98gpking
08-24-2006, 09:09 AM
It sounds like poor quality pads or a flaky rotor to me. Whoever did the brake job before you bought it probably screwed the job up.

suppose maybe if i take the pads off and clean them reallly good and then clean the rotors realy good the problem just might go away or you think its the quality of the material

BNaylor
08-24-2006, 09:15 AM
suppose maybe if i take the pads off and clean them reallly good and then clean the rotors realy good the problem just might go away or you think its the quality of the material

Thats probably a good idea. With pads removed look for a high metallic content and inspect how the rotors are wearing. As far as rotor lateral runout you'd have to have a brake shop check it or just get the rotor(s) turned. It is hard to say what brand was installed without a close inspection.

Add your comment to this topic!