Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Delco CASSETTE MECHANISM 16256794

LeapFrog777
08-23-2006, 01:16 PM
I have a 2000 Park Avenue. Yesterday a darn cassette jammed my cassette player. The player wound not eject the bad cassette. After taking the radio out of the dash I opened the back of radio and got the bad cassette out of the player. Needless to say the gears or what ever are jammed on the player. It looks like I will need to replace the cassette player.

I found a new one (CASSETTE MECHANISM 16256794)
on ebay for $85.00 plus $10.00 for S/H. But I think I could find a good plain used Buick Radio with only am/fm and cassette on ebay for $15.00 to $25.00. I'm thinking I could just take the cassette player out of that radio and install it in my current radio.

Any suggestions or opinions about this idea would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Cntrysthbst
08-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Yes you can do that, I did. Don't pay that $85, that's ridiculous! Those radios with just the cass. normally go for $10, or less. Just watch the ones with high shipping, normally the shipping on these should be about 8 to 12 at max. You can get the AM/FM CD/Cass combo sometimes for less than $50 w/ shipping. Just got to watch for them.

HotZ28
08-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Why would anyone use, or want a cassette player? :screwy: If you have a bunch of cassettes that you like to listen to, have them transferred to CD and get yourself a CD player! :thumbsup:

LeapFrog777
08-26-2006, 08:35 PM
I do have a Delco am/fm cd and cassette radio. I most always listen to the cd and not the cassette. But since I got a Apple Ipod I insert a car audio cassette adaptor into the cassette player and play the Ipod thru the cassette player. So far I've found this much cheaper than a fm modulator and from what I've read about the modulators most of them don't work all that well. I've found that with the cassette adaptor ( about $10.00) the music sound is pretty good for my old ears.

Anyway who among all you Buick Car Owners when you have something broke does not want to fix it regardless of what is broken. If you can do it yourself and do it cheap.

I will buy one of those $10.00 Delco am/fm cassette radios that no one wants and use the cassette player out of it.

Thanks to both of you for your opinions.

I am new to this website and I enjoy reading the Buick Forums.

:iceslolan

HotZ28
08-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks for explaining how you use the cassette player.:lol: It makes more sense now. :cwm27: You are right, most of us cannot stand for anything not to work the way it once did! Get that part installed and continue to enjoy that I pod.
By the way, thanks for posting and welcome to AF!:bigthumb:

LeapFrog777
09-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Just wanted to add a post script to my orginial post.

I did get a used cassette player and then used the part out of it for my cd/cassette radio. Works very well.

Also my comment about FM modulators needs to be corrected. I have read that the modulators don't work very well. Well I happen to find a modulator at a overstock store for $2.00. This was cheap so if it didn't work I could just throw it away. Well heck the thing works very well. Plays the music almost like having a cd inserted. Anyway if you have a ipod, cd player or what ever, you might try the modulator so you can play it thru your fm radio. :grinno:

Add your comment to this topic!