Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Installing bypass filter on '96 Park Avenue?

Garfield2
08-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Any takers on a good location to install a bypass oil filter on a 1996 Buick Park Avenue, non Ultra?

How about just to the right of where you release the trunk up front? There is a bracket there, might hold the sensor for "sudden impact" not sure, but seems pretty sturdy and accessible. Most of my ideas are in vain because of so much other stuff in the way.

My 1993 has a transmission cooler on the left of the hood release, up front, and in front of the radiator so there should be room for something like a filter in there if there is enough clearance. Was the cooler a standard thing on the Ultra?

Cntrysthbst
08-26-2006, 09:53 AM
I have never seen an Ultra without a trans cooler on 92 to 96. I would think they are standard. If you don't mind my asking, what is a oil by-pass filter, and what does it do? Thanks

Garfield2
08-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Well, an oil bypass system takes a small amount of oil, about 10%, from usually a "T" at the oil pressure sending unit, and takes it to a remote bypass filter. There the oil goes through a VERY tight filtering membrane, down to usually 2 micron or less, depending on the filter manufacturer. Then the filtered oil is returned to the system in a low pressure source, such as the oil fill cap or even a punched, and tapped special hollow fitting that goes in above the oil level on the oil pan.

http://www.oilguard.com/ is the OilGuard site. You can see how they are set up for oil filtration. Amsoil also sells a bypass filter, and does excellent and also has an excellent price tag with it ($30.00 per filter), and there are even those that use toilet paper rolls and they do work remarkably well.

The whole idea of bypass filters is you put in a very good oil with good TBN, allow the bypass filter to do it's job and keep your oil cleaned.. MUCH cleaner than a full flow that only takes stuff out to about 20 microns, and you can check the oil condition with oil analysis to see if it really needs replacing. Most of the time it does not. Oil gets dirty, and does not wear out. By replacing the oil from the change of the bypass filter you replenish some additives at that time.

How long can you go? Well here's a Peterbuilt truck that went over 1,000,000 miles on just one oil change , and the only thing changed out at the 1,012,000 miles was the piston rings.. all else was put back in as within specs.

Bypass really extends the life of not only your oil change interval OCI but the life of the engine in great leaps and bounds. They say that most of the wear occurs with oil contaminants above the 10 micron level and wear can be substantially reduced at oil filtered at the <5 micron level.

Cntrysthbst
08-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Boy, I'm sold on that! Going to seriously look into getting one. I would think that the engine wouldn't get as hot either. Do you leave the regular filter installed? And do they make something like this for the transmission fluid?

Garfield2
08-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Boy, I'm sold on that! Going to seriously look into getting one. I would think that the engine wouldn't get as hot either. Do you leave the regular filter installed? And do they make something like this for the transmission fluid?

Yes you leave the regular filter in place. Might want to change it every few years or so..:grinyes: As long as the bypass filter has not reached capacity, then there will be very little in the way of contaminants that the full flow (regular) filter would be loaded up with.

Yes they make a filter for the transmission as well. Filters are really only on cars since around 1955, and before that it was an add on accessory. Why don't they make cars now with bypass filters?? Would you buy a new car if your 14 year old car's engine was in tip top shape? What about rebuilds and parts? They (automotive) would be cutting their own throats.

Cntrysthbst
08-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Good point. Where do you buys these filters?

Garfield2
08-27-2006, 12:57 AM
If you know an Amsoil dealer and want to use their spin on bypass filters you can get them from them. The OilGuard can be bought from those at the OilGuard website. Fanz toilet paper filter system can be found also on the net. There are some interesting designs out there, but I am leaning toward the OilGuard. 1> They have a filter that goes to 1 micron and anything below 5 microns is highly beneficial. >2 Their price for filters. I belive it's around 12 or so dollars. Amsoil filters cost abour 30ish for replacement spin on filters. Don't go sub micron. Takes that much longer to filter the oil, and there extra benefit is simply not there given the amount of clearance that is within most engines. Get it to <5 microns and you have a very low wear condition.

www.oilguard.com (http://www.oilguard.com) has a new flter now for autos, it is the EPS-15. I found this out talking to the gal the other day at OilGuard.

Cntrysthbst
08-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Now I see your question from before. I am going to try to get it in the front when I get one. Thanks for the link and all help! These are filters that can be taken off and put on another car right? I didn't see the EPS-15, whats the difference between the 10, 15, and 20?

Garfield2
08-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Now I see your question from before. I am going to try to get it in the front when I get one. Thanks for the link and all help! These are filters that can be taken off and put on another car right? I didn't see the EPS-15, whats the difference between the 10, 15, and 20?

Yes you can remove the filter housing and elment and put it on another car. If you use a sandwich adapter, like one from PermaCool then it's a snap. Say you want to sell the car that the filter is on. Just remove the filter/housing, hoses, and adapter at the spin on filter side and put back on a regular spin on filter and there ya go.

The EPS-15 is their brand new model. I was told about it over the phone. You would have to call them for more info, but I believe it's just a bit longer than the current EPS-10.

Add your comment to this topic!