Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I'm done.

JekylandHyde
08-22-2006, 07:33 PM
It's been a very long and winding path, but I am finally done.

... done modifying Hyde that is. :whatwhat:

I realized back in May that the only thing I really, truly wanted more out of Hyde is larger rims and tires ... and that would require coilovers as there is no way to get bigger tire up front with the stock suspension.

It's my only gripe with building an MR2 to the level that I have. You just can't get really big tires on the car. The RX7 that runs the hills with us has a 285/18 stuffed up front!

Unfortunately, SpyderVenom (Rob) on MR2OC.com contacted me a few weeks ago and told me that he was going to be parting out his insane SM2 turbo MR2. I talked to several times in the past about his set up as he is the only person I knew running the tire configuration that I wanted to stuff under Hyde. Obviously he knew I would be interested.

Last night I made the trip to Philly to pick up everything (what a load!) and tonight I started hitting Hyde with a hammer (literally) to get the front tires to fit under the car :D

This is what I picked up from Rob:
Tein HT coilovers - independently adj. compression (x16) and rebound (x16)
Tein Springs (224 lb F and 500 lb R)
Tein Camber Plates
One set of rims & tires:
17x8” front w/245 Kumho V710
17x9” rear w/275 Kumho V710
Second set of rims & tires:
17x8” front w/245 Kumho V700 Victoracers
17x9” rear w/275 Kumho V700 Victoracers
There was another full set of the V700s that Rob beat on for 2 seasons.
He also threw in his 2 front fenders that he "radiused" in order to fit the front tires.

David Hawkins & I are doing the complete install Thursday night.
Over the winter I will pop the fenders off, have them radiused another 1/4" or so, have them finished and painted black ... Hyde is getting more and more black every year. ;) We should be out autocrossing this new set this Sunday.

I truly loved the way I had my suspension set up, except for autocrossing,
and I hope it does not take me too long to get comfortable with this set up.
I am really. really excited about finally getting huge tires all around. The down side is these weigh considerably more. I haven't actually weighed them yet, but the rims are bigger and the tires are much bigger, so there is plenty of weight being added ... such is life.

I really want to give a huge thanks to Rob & SpiralMoons (Cin) for making this possible. Rob, it killed me to see your car apart last night :(, but I'm sure your next project will be a great one. Good luck with everything.

Some photos ...

The Tein system:
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/images/hyde_coilovers.jpg

The 2 sets of rims & 3 sets of tires: (the standing tire is one of Hyde's old rears)
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/images/rims_tires.jpg

The 'new fronts' (245/17 w/V710) vs the 'old fronts' (Kosei K1 15X7 w/a 225/45/15 Kumho V700:
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/images/front_tires_comparison.jpg

The wheels & tires as they were on Rob's car:
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/images/xxx_rob_wheels.jpg

VR43000GT
08-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Looking good. Let us know how you like them after taking them to the track.

clawhammer
08-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Well that's both good news and bad news. I know it's been a long journey with Hyde and I loved every minute of it. Hyde will truely be a beast with the new setup I beleive. And with the money you'll be saving from not modifying Hyde, I'm sure a V6 will find it's way into the back of Jekyl :)

However, I know that you're still on a slipping clutch, and I'd really like to see what kind of 1/4 times Hyde could put down with a new clutch and a new tune. So I guess it's not going to happen? :(

xXxRocker5150
08-22-2006, 09:10 PM
wow, you've got the same rims (size and everything) in the front that I have in the rear...

JekylandHyde
08-22-2006, 09:21 PM
SL3000gt, thanks man.

clawhammer, we have the Tilton Twin Disc clutch & flywheel on hand. We are just waiting for the hardware to install it. That is still going to happen. We are still going to finish the tune on this engine ... Hyde will see 600+ rwhp and a 10-second 1/4-mile. It's just a matter of time.

xXxRocker5150, lol, yeah Hyde's new fronts are bigger than Jekyl's rears.

clawhammer
08-22-2006, 09:33 PM
SL3000gt, thanks man.

clawhammer, we have the Tilton Twin Disc clutch & flywheel on hand. We are just waiting for the hardware to install it. That is still going to happen. We are still going to finish the tune on this engine ... Hyde will see 600+ rwhp and a 10-second 1/4-mile. It's just a matter of time.

xXxRocker5150, lol, yeah Hyde's new fronts are bigger than Jekyl's rears.

Awesome. How about adding a bottle and running 9s? :D

chevytrucks92
08-22-2006, 10:03 PM
I hope it turns out good for ya.

Soon, I'll have a new front suspension as well (actually, a new chassis in general, lol). I know I've been saying soon for awhile now, but you know how it is with these sort of things, especially the major modifications.

Chiquae07
08-22-2006, 11:11 PM
he said he wont be adding nitrous or anything to hyde for makin it a pure drag racing car already. i like his ideas on that. i personally need a better car for racing in gerneral, my pos rwd sentra is quick enough to take out the ricers, but not a stock stang gt.

chexmixa
08-23-2006, 12:15 AM
^^^^^ rwd sentra?????? when did u get one of those?

Igovert500
08-23-2006, 02:31 AM
I must have missed all of this. I always thought you were satisfied with the wheel setup. So wont bigger/larger/heavier wheels cost you in the 1/4? I'm sure the larger footprint will help in all your other events, just curious if this will be your one and only setup or if you will switch back and forth?

youngvr4
08-23-2006, 02:51 AM
title scared the hell outa me

Elk
08-23-2006, 03:26 AM
^^^^^ rwd sentra?????? when did u get one of those?
Maybe his car is stuck in reverse.:lol2:

JekylandHyde
08-23-2006, 05:20 AM
Awesome. How about adding a bottle and running 9s?

Based on the few MR2s that have gone into the 10s, it seems that Hyde should go about 10.5 @ 133 mph when we finish the tune. That being said, 9s would be a long way off, and I would not be motivated to try.

Now, if I happen to run 10.4 or quicker, we may have to reevaluate this position :D However, I would still be "done" in the sense that a local friend has a bunch of N2O kits that he used to use and has offered several times to stick a set up on Hyde. I suspect we will not see that happen, but it is out there.

I must have missed all of this. I always thought you were satisfied with the wheel setup. So wont bigger/larger/heavier wheels cost you in the 1/4? I'm sure the larger footprint will help in all your other events, just curious if this will be your one and only setup or if you will switch back and forth?

I still have the custom light-weight drag wheels with the skinnies up front:
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/images/hyde_fall_englishtown_2005_nhra_1.jpg

Right now, the plan is burn off the V710s from one set of rims and then get street tires for those. So I will end up with a street set, strip set up and trasck/hill/autox set up.

It's funny, I always see these 'serious racers' with several sets of tires and could not imagine ever getting to that point or needing to. If certain things had not fallen into place this year, this could never have happened. It's a real bummer that Rob is tearing down his MR2, but I am grateful he could help me out like this.

Chiquae07
08-23-2006, 07:32 AM
lol. i mean fwd. the 'r' is right over the 'f' on the keyboard.

Musashi3000GT
08-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Titled scared me too!

Damn I need to back to school and get a degree in journalism cause all those mods and stuff, 2 cars, the truck, thats alot of bank right there......big poppa rolling in the greenbacks yo!

JekylandHyde
08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Damn I need to back to school and get a degree in journalism cause all those mods and stuff, 2 cars, the truck, thats alot of bank right there......big poppa rolling in the greenbacks yo!

You REALLY have the wrong idea.

I have 3 cars & the Suburban, BUT: Hyde was $1,750.00, the Suburban was $1,500.00, an my MK1 daily driver was $300 with a dead engine. Jekyl was the most expensive car at $4,500 that I bought nearly 7 years ago.

Notice all of the parts in this thread are used.

I live in a very modest house and my income is average at best for someone my age.

Igovert500
08-23-2006, 02:51 PM
It's a real bummer that Rob is tearing down his MR2, but I am grateful he could help me out like this.

What happened that made him decide to part it out?

JekylandHyde
08-23-2006, 03:21 PM
He is really, really into Solo2 racing.
He used to race with another car in a stock class.

The simple fact is that a car in stock class will require less work and headaches (and heartaches) than a car in the most modified class possible.
Simple put, he got tired of having a car that was down as much as it was up.

Igovert500
08-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Can understand that. It's a shame, but having a garage Queen can get to anybody.

Chiquae07
08-23-2006, 04:55 PM
greenbacks? i thought it was greenbags.

TheStang00
08-23-2006, 07:46 PM
title of the thread scared me too. i expected to see some mangled pictures of hyde or something. thank god.... good stuff buddy.

chevytrucks92
08-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Can understand that. It's a shame, but having a garage Queen can get to anybody.

Yeah, it can, but its those few seconds on the track that make it worth while, lol.

Musashi3000GT
08-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Oh stop being so modest, we've all seen the episode of Cribs on MTV when they went to your house. :lol:

JekylandHyde
08-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeeeeeeeeeeah ... you'd be more likely to see it on "Pimp my Crib."

-The Stig-
08-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeah ... you'd be more likely to see it on "Pimp my Crib."

:lol: Jeff made a funny!

302exploder
08-25-2006, 10:47 PM
people always say that on the rare occasion i make a joke someone else thinks is funny:banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!