Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

six speed transmission in a five speed car?

projectgsr
08-21-2006, 11:15 PM
yeah hi everybody i know this might sound like a funny question but since i am completely new to Toyotas (i own an Acura GSR Integra) please cut me slack. i was planning on buying a TT Supra with the 93' to 98' US body style. but i noticed that the later models come with the 6 speed transmissions and so if i decided to save some money and buy a 93' or 94' i would have to settle for a 5 speed. but then before the though came to my mind of just paying the extra money now, i was wondering if you can just swap a 6 speed tranny into a chassis that originally had a 5 speed with little to no modifications. so that is my question: can i easily swap in a 6 speed tranny into a 93' or 94' Supra? assuming of course it wasn't an auto car. thanks in advance for an comments or suggestions.

projectgsr
08-21-2006, 11:24 PM
oh yeah one more thing. would it also be practical to just go ahead and get any supra with that body style and with a manual transmission but with the non turbo motor and then just swap in a 2jz-gte with 6 speed tranny later when i have the cash?

TcmaBoy
08-21-2006, 11:41 PM
You are thinking too hard. If you want the six speed turbo then just buy it to begin with.

projectgsr
08-22-2006, 12:27 AM
no i know your right i'm probably thinking too hard. maybe it's cause i'm mostly a honda/acura guy and most of us are used to motor swaps, frankenstein engines, ect. another thing is that the price is significantly different between like a 93' and a 96'. yeah sure i could wait a few more months and save up but then when your as impatient as i you just want to hurry up and buy a supra. also i'll probably end up doing a jdm motor swap anyways. i just wanted to know what my options are. thanks anyways though.

flyinMKIV
08-23-2006, 04:34 PM
I get what your thinking about doing, but in order to convert a non-turbo supra to a TT or single turbo. Your going to regret it ethier way. Buying the car is only half the battle, the labor of installing it and tracking down the parts necessary to complete a true swap is not worth the time or the extra money you will spend to do it. It's much easier just to buy the car you want to begin with and then mod it if that's what you want to do rather than trying to peice it yourself. I have see people be able to pull it off, but they were stuck with the car because the re-sale value is not high enough to get what they put into the car, they ended up going almost double over their original budget to complete the conversion. Save up the money and buy the car you want, but it's your money and time. Best of luck to you and hope you find what your looking for. Ask more questions if you want.

Oh I'm sorry, yes you can convert a 5 speed car to a six speed very easily actually.

projectgsr
08-24-2006, 05:16 PM
yeah thank you so much for the advice. i do understand all too well the headache involved in true motor swaps and complicated mods. i have probably invested $13,000 in my GSR and i would probably realistically only get around $7,500 at best if i decided to sell it. but i can only imagine how much more complicated a Supra would be. even more so than a honda/acura which are actually pretty easy to tweak with comparably. anyways so you are saying that the 5 speed to 6 speed conversion is fairly easy? cool so then there you have it. my options are any 93' to 98' turbo with manual (5 or 6 speed) regardless of any color, and assuming clean title. thanks a bunch for all the help.

flyinMKIV
08-27-2006, 10:22 AM
I think your still a little confused, the turbo cars never came with a 5 spd choice, only the non-turbo models came in a 5 spd. If your looking for a manual car that is already turbo it is going to be a 6 spd. The only thing you could do in your case would be to buy an automatic turbo car first and then buy the parts to do a 6 spd swap. The 6 spd tranny is pretty expensive too because people want them really bad so you will end up paying some money if that's the way you decide to go. also changing out the rear end might be a good idea to if your that serious although some people have said that the auto gearring is better for racing but I haven't been able to confirm that so don't hold me to it. Any other questions just ask away.

Add your comment to this topic!