Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Tracker Exaust Gas Regulator

farmerfelts
08-21-2006, 04:05 PM
I have the obligatory "check engine light:banghead: " on and Advanced Auto Parts said it's the Exhaust Gas Regualtor. Is this a repairable part? I took it of and although I couldn't see any way to disassemble it, I played with it and the diaphram seems to work when air is passed through it. Sure don't to pay $129.00 for a new one if I don't have to. Any suggestions?

Thanks

edmcm
08-21-2006, 05:17 PM
I've read several things about cleaning out the valve and the passages to it, but I don't know the details. Try searching google for "cleaning EGR". Ed

edmcm
08-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Here's a detaild EGR repair story: Ed
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/feb2005/techtips.cfm

trackerfan
07-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I have a 1996 Geo Tracker with over 130,000 miles on it. The Check Engine Light has been on almost a year. In order to pass NY state inspection, I took it to the dealer to find out what was (is) wrong. (Last year I had a similar problem but it was able to pass inspection after replacing the transducer and something else that I can't remember the name.) This past week, I have had the EGR valve, the corroded neck of the gas tank, and the gas cap, as well as the thermostat, replaced in 3 different visits. The codes were cleared each time. Today I drove less than 30 miles and the engine light came back on. I'm scheduled to take it back on Friday. Any ideas? I guess I could have bought a new car by now, but I like this one and since it runs good, I'm not ready to give it up yet.

farmerfelts
07-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Trackerfan, I still have not been able to extinguish the service engine light caused by the EGR. When I take the battery cable off the positive post for about five minutes it will go out and stay out for about 250 miles then comes back on. I've tried cleaning it with injector cleaner, replace the rubber hoses, etc, with negative results. I checked on the price of a new EGR valve ($130.00) but decided against replacing it since Kentucky actually has absolutely no auto inspection program that would require the light be out, besides, knowing these cars, changing the EGR would most likely be money down a rat hole. Maybe the best solution would be to just go behind the instrument panel and remove the bulb.

In other words, I just gave up.runaround Sorry I couldn't be more help.

baumbr
07-13-2007, 05:54 PM
What is the actual code? It may be something other than the EGR.

trackerfan
07-13-2007, 08:37 PM
[Probably should have asked for the username Naive.) I took my 96 Tracker to the dealer because in the past they have been able to diagnose the problems that other mechanics were unable to. I had various parts replaced, to the tune of over $900.00 and the light came on again on the way home after about 5 miles of driving. Here's what they replaced: EGR valve and vacuum switch (codes PO440 and 446), fuel filler neck and gas cap, thermostat, vacuum transducer (code PO400). I'd love to "take out" the bulb, but NY state has a emissions control inspection as well as safety inspection. I found out that I can get a 1 year waiver because I paid over $450 to have parts replaced. I'm going to have the car inspected tomorrow and if it fails, (as I'm sure it will), then I'll ask for the waiver. Thanks to all who replied.

edmcm2000
07-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Maybe this will fix it: Ed

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/19441-egr-fix-another-forum.html

trackerfan
08-01-2007, 08:10 PM
After spending $900 on repairs, the dealer finally listened to me about the throttle body and the car passed NYState emissions testing. Too bad it failed the safety test! Just put on new brakes, too! Problem is a couple of years back I had a problem with the tail lights so a "friend" of mine did some creative rewiring. It worked up until now. Back up lights are OUT. Have 10 days to get it fixed. Anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for a 96 Geo Tracker, 4dr, manual transmission? Or should I just put a FOR SALE sign on the car?

edmcm2000
08-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Wiring diagrams and lots of other info at autozone.com. Ed

gumby_ct
09-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Here's a detaild EGR repair story: Ed
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/feb2005/techtips.cfmI wonder if anyone ever followed this procedure and if it helped?

I know it's an old post but no one ever seems to post back saying anything when they get their problem fixed.

Anyone?

farmerfelts
09-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Not being much of a mechanic, that article with the procedure to fix the EGR problem made less sense to me than the IRS Tax Codes. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on one's point of view, I still live in Kentucky and there's still no auto inspection program here so, that bit of fortune and a piece of black tape over the check engine light solved my problem three years ago and haven't thought of it much since. Car still runs great.

gumby_ct
09-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Does the clogged EGR pipe throw a CEL? The reason I'm asking is I have a 98 Tracker that runs ok until you put the egine under a load (like going up a hill) then it just bogs severely. But the CEL is NOT ON.

This seems to be a very common problem with Trackers

ernestfortier
10-25-2009, 09:50 PM
I had the same problem and went around in circles. I finally removed the throttle body and noticed a lot of tar like substance on the inside of it. I removed the intake manifold and found it to be loaded with the same tar like substance, it's from the egr. I cleaned the intake manifold and the steel line from the manifold to the EGR (it's important to make sure the steel line is real clean), then I replace everything. I haven't had the check engine light come on now for the last 20,000 miles. Cheap fix, the only thing I bought was a new gasket from the Chevy dealer for the manifold, and it only took about 2 hours.

kyles974
12-02-2009, 07:10 PM
I wonder if anyone ever followed this procedure and if it helped?

I know it's an old post but no one ever seems to post back saying anything when they get their problem fixed.

Anyone?

I have been threw the egr, TPS, pretty much all sensors, etc., etc.,:banghead:
I'm lucky to have a parts car,(wife smashed it) so, all summer, I had problems, finally, it got to the point i couldn't drive my tracker. So as I thought I would change my injectors with the "old" parts car, which ran fine when i parked it.

I noticed exactly what abouve link mentioned. The area of the egr bypass that is part of the intake manifold was gummed or coroded almost closed. So I took a screw driver and did a "quick" cleaning. Although, I'm not sure how much this help, because now with the new old injectors, all my problems went away. My newer tracker finallys has the power that it never did since i bought it.

Again, both preceedures where done at the same time (cleaning and injectors) so I can;t say for sure which one was the bigger or the problem, but my tracker will smoke the tires now!!:jump3:

himie298
06-03-2010, 10:28 PM
I can relate to all the EGR post I'v done it all. quick and simple way to go is remove the air horn and open the butterfly and look for two holes in the back of the intake manifold. you will see only one the other is hidden behind carbon. remove the steel tube coming from the EGR to the top of the mainfold and then take a wire and push it through you will now see where the hole is clean it real good and then put it back together and reset your code.

PS redimple the steel gaskets with two socket one larger than the other to reset the ring in the gaskets.
Good luck

Mcguvier

coopdavillage
06-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Trackerfan, I still have not been able to extinguish the service engine light caused by the EGR. When I take the battery cable off the positive post for about five minutes it will go out and stay out for about 250 miles then comes back on. I've tried cleaning it with injector cleaner, replace the rubber hoses, etc, with negative results. I checked on the price of a new EGR valve ($130.00) but decided against replacing it since Kentucky actually has absolutely no auto inspection program that would require the light be out, besides, knowing these cars, changing the EGR would most likely be money down a rat hole. Maybe the best solution would be to just go behind the instrument panel and remove the bulb.

In other words, I just gave up.runaround Sorry I couldn't be more help.

The EGR valve is very much needed since it helps recirculate gas from the exhaust giving you better gas mileage and also helps cool the valves.

as for the check engine lite there is a switch that resets it up under the dash to the left of the steering column. My 95 currently has an EGR problem and it gets worse as it goes along so I would recommend replacing it if you want the car to last.

these cars last WAY past 130k, both of mine have 180 and are still going stong and i have only started recently haveing to replace components like the alternator and starter which were original.

hope this helps :)

Jenny rose
07-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Here are a few pics of the clogged pipe

The first one is of the location of the clog. The circle indicates location. you need to get on the other side of this wall. you can look in if you open the butterfly. I pulled off the metal tube to gain access to the bottom of the hole. I dug out most of the carbon from the bottom. (some can be seen in the square resting on the engine).

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j45/gotnailpolish/DSCI0149-1.jpg

Here is a shot looking at the inside location through the butterfly. The square is the closed hole location, I have a zip tie in mine for reference. This hole was 100% clogged and not visible from the inside at all. However the one to the right was in great shape with no restriction (in the circle).

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j45/gotnailpolish/DSCN3684.jpg

The next is just a closer up inside.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j45/gotnailpolish/easter.jpg

Just to let ya know I am in no way a mechanic. this is one of the most mechanical things I have done. I do know this is not the recommended way to do it because carbon will drop down into the intake.

Otherwise I just decided to do this after what I read here and I have had the engine scanned with EGR as the issue. Was getting a solid 23mpg so I will know in the next few weeks if this made any improvement.

Jennifer

farmerfelts
07-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Still having trouble locating where the bottom two pictures are in relation with the first picture. Are they taken from the bottom looking up where the pipe has been disconnected????

Jenny rose
07-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Still having trouble locating where the bottom two pictures are in relation with the first picture. Are they taken from the bottom looking up where the pipe has been disconnected????

The arrow points to where the air enters the engine. I removed the long tube that connects the air filter box to where the arrow is pointed.

farmerfelts
07-11-2010, 03:56 PM
I guess so??? I still don't understand how picture 2 & 3 relate to picture 1.

Jenny rose
07-12-2010, 01:44 AM
Farmer, I sent you a PM, have not heard back.

farmerfelts
07-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Jenny rose, sent you a PM with email addy and haven't heard back. :-(

coopdavillage
08-04-2010, 07:56 PM
I cleaned my EGR valve out but it still dies not work. Reson being and what everyone needs to look for when cleaning them is if fluid comes out aroud the piston then no amout of cleaning will help the egr valve from what I found out. Even if it still has vacuum. As for buying a new one I suggest buying online unless you have a local store that can beat the online prices.
Hope this helps!

gumby_ct
08-04-2010, 09:36 PM
I cleaned my EGR valve out but it still dies not work. Reson being and what everyone needs to look for when cleaning them is if fluid comes out aroud the piston then no amout of cleaning will help the egr valve from what I found out. Even if it still has vacuum. As for buying a new one I suggest buying online unless you have a local store that can beat the online prices.
Hope this helps!This sounds more like a blown head gasket or cracked block.

I am wondering if the clogs in the above pix are the cause of the power loss these engines go thru? Severe hesitation.

Could this also set off PO136 O2 sensor codes - Sensor 1 Bank 2??
Anyone know?

coopdavillage
08-04-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm quite sure that my head gasket is not blown. My car has no hisitation or lack of power when the egr valve is working right and sometimes when it is not. Because my egr valve is totally shot mine has problems starting and burns gas a lot faster than it should. My gas mileage has also gone down by about 3 mpg. Now my younger one does somewhat exhibit the signs of a blown head gasket but I was informed by my machanic it wasnt (not entirely beleiving that). It does have the issue with extreme hesitation and lack of power and will lope around 2500 rpm's. It also feels like it may be a fuel system issue though. I had the fuel system cleaned and it improved it some but I wonder if it doesn't just need some repacement parts.

Add your comment to this topic!