Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

radiator??

frustratedwithvan
08-21-2006, 11:54 AM
My radiator had been dripping then all of a sudden it started overheating. A mechanic worked on it and replaced the upper radiator hose said it had busted. That was great..........didn't cost a whole lot. Not when I drive, it shows to be running hot. The radiator is full and so is the resivoir. then why is it showing to be hot? Would a flush help? there's no leaks on the ground under it anymore.

Bear
08-21-2006, 01:47 PM
You did not tell us which engine, but some have the temperature sensor just below the thermostat housing and if that sensor gets wet or shorted out it may cause the electriic radiator fans to be inoperative. I had this happen on my 1998 Neon and until the sensor was dry the car gave an overheat condition and the fans would not come on (are your electric fans working), with and without the AC on?

frustratedwithvan
08-21-2006, 01:50 PM
I have a 3.3 ltr 6cyl.
Dumb question.....how do you tell if the fans come on? will I be able to tell with the hood open

Bear
08-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Open the hood, start car, turn on AC and you can see the fan/s (right behind radiator) and they should be running. The fans are triggered by either the AC on (always) or at a set temperture controlled by that temperature sending unit at the top of the thermostat housing (electrical plug, and one wire), make sure that connector is clean,dry, and snapped on tightly. If the fans run with AC on then the relay is good and also fan motors are good (relay is located in engine compartment, on front grill cross bar just in front of the AC condensor). My concern would be is she really overheating, or is the temp sending unit bad and giving a false reading to the temp gauge. If the fans do not run at all, you can disconnect the electrical plug at the fans and run one wire from battery positve psot and one from battery negative post to the fan electrical conncetor on the fan and see if the fans run (will tell you if the fan motor is good or bad).

frustratedwithvan
08-21-2006, 08:03 PM
OK--I checked and fans aren't comig on at all.......with or without AC on. I do't know how to connect the wires without worrying about making something explode or something.

Bear
08-21-2006, 09:09 PM
If fans do not work then either the fan motor or the fan relay is bad. Find someone who can hook up the wires to check the fan motor so you know what is or is not working. The relay should be visible from underneath the car by looking up and seeing the electrical wires from the fan motor leading to an electrical box that is attached to the front bumper or grill fascia and in front of the AC condensor.

Add your comment to this topic!