Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

steering column pump replacement

chrisinkc
08-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Hello....I just had my steering column pump and outer tie rod ends replaced. I was told the pump would whine for a few days. Is this normal or common? I still feel like something is wrong with the steering, but I'm hoping it's the new parts that are feeling tight or something. Thank you! Chris

BNaylor
08-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Welcome to AF.

What brand pump was installed? The whine should not be there even with a new one.

richtazz
08-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Year, make and model would be helpful. To answer your question, if the system was bled properly, there should be no whine at all. If your steering still feels tight, take it back. You have air in the system, which is causing the fluid to foam. Best case, it will make it difficult to steer at times until the air is purged. Once the air works it's way out, the fluid level will be low and fluid will need to be added. Bad case, the air in the system could damage the new pump or the rack and pinion unit causing more $$$$ repairs. Worst case, you could lose boost when you need it most which could cause an accident injuring you or others and wrecking your car. Take it back to the shop and have them complete their job by properly bleeding the system.

chrisinkc
08-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks everyone for your help! I have no idea what brand of pump it is...invoice doesn't say. I have a 2001 Grand Prix GT with 56,800 miles. Two places said I needed the pump. The steering does feel tight and it does whine. So I should take it back? I hate this!

BNaylor
08-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Before taking it back do what Rich suggested. Check the level first and you could do a quick test to get rid as much air as you can. Once engine is cool enough, remove the power steering reservoir cap. Start it up and turn steering to the right and left several times but without hitting the stops. Verify level and make sure cap is re-installed.

If it still makes a whining sound take it back. Unless it is a GM/AC Delco pump, aftermarkets are hit and miss on being noisy.

chrisinkc
08-21-2006, 09:58 AM
I could probaby do that, but what does "without hitting the stops" mean? As much as I hate to admit it, I'm a woman and I don't know much about doing things myself when it comes to my car. lol I can replace the innards of a toilet, but if it involves more than filling the washer fluid in my car, I'm not very good. lol I don't understand why they wouldn't have done this themselves. They had the car long enough. :shakehead

BNaylor
08-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I could probaby do that, but what does "without hitting the stops" mean? As much as I hate to admit it, I'm a woman and I don't know much about doing things myself when it comes to my car. lol I can replace the innards of a toilet, but if it involves more than filling the washer fluid in my car, I'm not very good. lol I don't understand why they wouldn't have done this themselves. They had the car long enough. :shakehead

It means don't take the steering to the maximum position either left or right where the steering comes to a stop and you hear and feel the steering kickback. When you get to that point just take the steering wheel back to the other direction. Do this several times but be sure the power steering pump cap is off so any air that may be in the system has someplace to go. Just be careful and follow common sense safety. Remove the cap only while engine is cool and in off. Due to the design, the cap will be difficult to get to but it can be done from above and reaching back behind the alternator area.

You should have a warranty on the parts and labor so you may have to go that route so I would consider taking it back to the shop if you feel you are not capable of doing what was suggested.

BTW - Even guys have problems working in this area.

richtazz
08-21-2006, 12:34 PM
I agree Bob, we do not discriminate against the fairer sex here on AF. I actually applaud you Chrisinkc for having the common sense to question what you were told as being accurate. Take it back and make them fix it right. After all, that's what you paid them for.

chrisinkc
08-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys! I've decided to take it back after work and if they can't/won't do something about it, I'll take it somewhere else. It seems to be making an awful lot of noise. I just don't have much confidence in them now after they specifically told me it would whine and it probably shouldn't be doing that regardless....if they did it right. Ugh.

I'm really glad I found this site though. It's a great resource!

chrisinkc
08-21-2006, 03:02 PM
I just called the shop and spoke to the manager. As soon as I said I was told it would whine for a couple of days he was like "no" and he said to please bring it in so I feel better.

richtazz
08-22-2006, 08:00 AM
Good, it sounds like they are going to do the right thing, as they should have in the first place.

chrisinkc
08-23-2006, 05:16 PM
My saga continues....sigh. I picked up the car yesterday and I can tell they re-bled it and the steering felt fine, but I'm getting a squeaking noise that seems to be related to the accelerator. It squeaks loudest when I have a cold engine and is constant, but it seems to go faster when I accelerate. I'm taking it back again, but was wondering if anyone has an idea if it can be related to the pump or if it's a completely different item that is broke now. I just don't know if I'll trust what they tell me. I'm really hoping the 3rd time is a charm!!! :banghead: Sorry to be such a pain! Chris

ericn1300
08-23-2006, 08:27 PM
i'd say go back and insist on on a new A/C delco pump, sounds like they've been using rebuilts which often have a spotty quality record. and don't let them charge you the difference for the part, it was their decision to go with the rebuilts and inconvience you in the end.

richtazz
08-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Did they replace the serpentine belt when they replaced the power steering pump? Usually, when a P/St pump fails, it leaks fluid from the front seal, contaminating the belt. The squeaking could be a belt slipping.

Add your comment to this topic!