Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1992 Explorer XLT engine trouble

dj2quick
08-19-2006, 05:15 PM
im not sure exactly what to even call this. it sounds and feels like its missing. all the time. accellerates slowly and chugging and just running rough. it does this all the time: idling, driving, cold and warm. it had a crack in the tubing from the air filter to the intake which we temporarily fixed with duct tape. we replaced the spark plugs and then it ran fine. but now its back to how it was before. we redid the duct tape and there is no leak in that tubing. i checked the spark plugs and they dont look too bad just a little carbon on them thats it. i was wondering if this could be the ignition control module or the coils or is it something else. also the wipers only work on high. lol. i see this is a common problem. ive seen that it could be the switch or the "interval wiper module". anything else i should check? thanks in advance.

carlos80
08-19-2006, 07:17 PM
have you changed the spark plug wires? try running some injector cleaner through the tank?

jeff84red
08-28-2006, 02:43 PM
My 91 had the same problem and found two issues, the MAFS was dirty and the converter was plugged almost 90%. THere are plenty of posts here to clean the MAFS but if the converter is plugged you will need to replace it. I replaced mine with a single converter @ autozone for around $60.00

Add your comment to this topic!