Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

all season tire suggestions

sickcallawayc12
08-19-2006, 04:01 PM
well fall/winter isn't too far away for colorado and i'm already starting to think about the winter season. I definitely need to change my tires as their wear is showing, but i don't wanna deal with having a dedicated set of winter tires this year so i need some advice on a good set of all season shoes that would be good on a blazer. I've kept it cheap for the past few years with Kumho and hankook, but this year i'm willing to spend a good 300-350 for some big name brand stuff but don't really know who's good (firestone ISN'T GOOD i know). I'd say i'll do 80 percent street driving and 20 percent gravel trail/off road plus any colorado snow from the big blizzard the night before that's still on the road and i guess i'll deal with the ice. I'll be shopping from tire rack which provides great assistance but i just wanna hear ideas and experiences from other blazer owners. Thanks for the help.

Ultrashock
08-19-2006, 04:09 PM
On my blazer I use BfGoodrich Long Trail T/a's

they have worked great on mud and on ice/snow

One thing that i dont like is the traction when it rains is not all that great, still good but not great.

blazee
08-19-2006, 04:13 PM
On my blazer I use BfGoodrich Long Trail T/a's

they have worked great on mud and on ice/snow

One thing that i dont like is the traction when it rains is not all that great, still good but not great.

That's the same type that I use. I really like them. I know that some other guys on here use them too, but he won't find a set for $300-$350.

Blazer SS
08-19-2006, 04:24 PM
All season, Bf Goodrich KDWS, Great performance tires! Good but not great in snow.

BlazerLT
08-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Best not to go with an all season on a SUV if you want any sort of traction.

Go with a lighter tread all terrain tire. I like Walmarts Alltracks I think they are called.

What an amazing tire and the total cost of all tires and installation was US$400 which is so cheap.

Don't waste you money on other big name brands. The name means nothing.

sickcallawayc12
08-19-2006, 10:37 PM
thanx for all the replies, especially blazerlt; i've never really owned an SUV in the winter so i dunno what's best for these things. I'm looking into Dunlop, seems like a good tire when properly rotated and has gotten good reviews with a good price also.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Radial+Rover+RVXT&partnum=375SR5ROVXTOWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=2&speed_rating=SR&speed_rating=TR&speed_rating=UR&speed_rating=HR&speed_rating=VR&speed_rating=ZR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR

BlazerLT
08-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Those seem rather good.

I like the tread and they won't be noisy, but yet will have a good snow traction.

redwheeler
08-20-2006, 03:08 AM
my bfg all terrain ta may be a little pricey but they are a great all around tire i love em and they will go on every truck i own from now on

534BC
08-20-2006, 10:59 AM
If you never go off-road then a P tire will suffice. Perhaps give better mpg and traction on road and be quieter , too. I think that my blazer oem was a passenger tire and I go thru some snow and ice in 4wd, but nothing even remotely to require a snow/mud tread. I never go off-road though.

ceevester
08-27-2006, 01:58 PM
I have no personal knowledge of them, but several of my son's friends think "Blizak" tires are great on their 4 wheelers here in Michigan.

goser
08-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Aren't Blizzaks a Michelin winter tire?

I'll be trying out my Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos this winter for the first time, but so far they've been great to me. I agree with whoever said the brand name means nothing, but I'm okay with spending a little more on brakes and tires in the off-chance they are better.

BlazerLT
08-27-2006, 04:52 PM
They are a winter tire which is not what the guy wants for all year round.

MikePathfinder2001
08-27-2006, 10:35 PM
What about Toyo a/t tires? I heard they are pretty good and relatively inexpensive. I was thinking of getting some of them for my Pathfinder. For my blazer I have a set of Cordovan Wildtrac tires. They cost about 380 mounted. They are pretty good looking and have a lot of traction. I would check them out if your looking for a cheaper priced tire.

Mike

ZL1power69
08-27-2006, 10:41 PM
i just got a set of kelly safari awr's for free and they have great traction on dry and wet pavement. don't know about snow though, obviously haven't gotten any.
i did look into bridgestone duller at's. they are an exelent tire but are about 600 for 4 mounted and ballanced

sickcallawayc12
09-16-2006, 06:40 PM
just wanna say thanks for all the suggestions people made. After some research I think i'll go for the dunlops that i mentioned earlier and purchase them in a week or two and i will also post how they ride for future reference/visitors. Mid september and the rockies are already gettin' snow. AAARGH!!!:banghead:

83T/A98Blazer
09-16-2006, 09:02 PM
i just got a set of kelly safari awr's for free and they have great traction on dry and wet pavement. don't know about snow though, obviously haven't gotten any.

I've got the Kelly Safari SUV's and they're pretty good in the snow too.

sickcallawayc12
11-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Just to update:
today was the first real test of my tires in snow, dunlop radial rover RVT as shown in my link, and for the most part work exceptionally well off-road and the snow. slips a bit on the ice but whatever. they are relatively quiet also, nothing the radio/cd player can't drown out. i just got back from a drive to Phoenix and is a terrific all terrain tire to have on the road for long highway driving.

Reg Saretsky
12-03-2006, 02:30 PM
I use steel stud Walmart :uhoh: wintermarks on steel winter wheels.:uhoh: Done the all season thing. change over is worth it.

Noisy, vibrates, but chewbaccas through everything. a CDN mountain winter road can throw at it.

People are more impressed when you get them to the ski hills & back then by your flashy rims , esp. when you'r waiting for the mountain tow to hike you out of the brush...:evillol:

My Canadian :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: , currently worth :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: Us cents:naughty:

cheers
Reg

BlazerLT
12-03-2006, 04:46 PM
:lol:

XWrench3
12-27-2011, 07:49 AM
if it is TRACTION you are after, i have found NOTHING better that BFGoodrich all terrain radials. the only problem with them, is it WLL allow you to loose 3-4 mpg in fuel economy. but they WILL keep you out of the ditch IF you do your part.

Add your comment to this topic!