Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Saturn SC2- what turbo kit? possible?

dragon370
08-19-2006, 08:37 AM
i own a 1997 Saturn SC2 and i am attempting to make it "nice". my question is, how easy would it be to get this car to take a turbo, and which one would be recommended? the motor is DOHC 1.9L I-4.

thanx

UncleBob
08-19-2006, 02:46 PM
are you looking to buy a kit or make it yourself?

you will have to decide what qualities you want before anyone can offer any better advice. What type power are you looking for? What will you be using the car for? What amount of money are you looking to spend?

The turbo selection is quite vast, many will "work" on your engine, but how well it will work will depend on what you want/expect.

Schister66
08-19-2006, 03:49 PM
not trying to sound like an ass, but the best way to make it nice, is to leave it stock and if you want to boost something...get a car that is easier to do. I REALLY doubt you're going to find a premade kit for your car and even if you do, it is going to be one hell of a ripoff (like most kits). Your only option for boost is to have someone custom build you a manifold and then just wing it the rest of the way.

IT CAN BE BOOSTED. There is no question about that, but it is a big time commitment and it is going to cost you a few thousand dollars. Also, idk how well Saturn builds their engines so reliability becomes a concern too. It isn't as easy as bolting it on and going......

drdisque
09-12-2006, 07:47 PM
http://www.alphatuning.com/saturnkit.html <-premade kit for his car

PlayStation3
09-12-2006, 11:10 PM
and also go here http://www.turbosaturns.net that site is decited to make saturns going faster. yes it is possable to get it to go past but it cost more and more know how then a vtec for example. about saturns engine realibity there are saturns that have over 300k on them. your realiby only might be compermize when you try for 11 secs or put in 100 shot of nitrous in a non forged llo engine

Schister66
09-13-2006, 04:47 PM
those kits are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced!! That's the price of a FullRace kit for a Honda.....which uses about 3x better parts.

PlayStation3
09-13-2006, 10:55 PM
those are the only kits for a saturn that why and because it takes more dough to make it go faster.

Schister66
09-16-2006, 01:16 PM
so you're saying nobody can or does make a manifold for that car?? The only thing in a turbo setup that is car specific is the manifold....everything else is pretty universal. There isn't a "saturn" turbo, or a "saturn" blow off valve. You can get the manifold and tuning software, then do the rest yourself. Building IC piping is simple if you can weld or have a warehouse full of couplers, injectors and injector sizing is easy, etc....

I dont get why people, except those under California tyranny, would EVER buy a premade kit for that much money....unless its FullRace or something similar.

My .02......if you build it yourself, you'll have a lot more knowledge, power and money in the end...

PlayStation3
09-16-2006, 08:57 PM
right some people on forums will make you one but no company makes one but alphatuning. there fuel managments for saturns but also only one company makes it. for basic performence parts ther are only 2 companys. everything else is pretty much only one compmany so the price goes up. but a turboed sc2 can kill a civic and possable the gs and rs second gen eclipses.

Schister66
09-18-2006, 07:25 PM
well if you put that much money into a car like that you should be able to beat a stock Civic...that's not really an accomplishment...That's like saying now that i boosted my GSR, i should be able to beat an SUV...wow!

Used2haveasaturn
07-23-2007, 07:33 PM
I have a t3/t04 turbo with the hks gt wastegate, intercooler, piping, manifold, plug wires, and silicone fittings from a twistec kit.....like new with low miles. Blow out priced and very affordable at $700.00. No bs, I do not own the car it was intended for anymore......and this is sitting in my basement. Also have the oil pan set up with the drain fitting already in it.

2.2 Straight six
07-25-2007, 01:44 PM
i have to power to lock old threads. completely free!

Add your comment to this topic!