Help Me PLEASE My Neon Shifts hard

kandy_k_46804
08-18-2006, 03:28 PM
I have a 97 dodge neon with an automatic transmission that I purchased about a year ago. I have noticed that when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd at about 15-20 miles per hour, the car jerks and then shifts. It shifts rather hard. From 2nd to 3rd gear and so on, it seems to shift a little less rough. I am worried that I will slowly ruin the transmission if I dont check it out. Does anyone know why this is happening? I read my Haynes Repair Manual and it says to check the transmission fluid level and make sure its full. If its not full, should I add whatever fluid the manual says or should I try to find out what is in the transmission right now?

Also I bought the neon with a K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit Generation 2. Does anyone think that might be causing my car to shift hard? I wouldn't think the K&N Filer would have anything to do with the transmission jerking and shifting hard.

If anyone has any ideas why this might be happening please let me know. I will try anything to fix it myself, but who knows, maybe I will have to take it into a shop that I can't afford to pay for. LOL. Thanks for helping. :)

kandy_k_46804
08-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Also it seems to downshift pretty well. The only time it shifts hard is when I am excelerating. Hope this helps you readers figure out what's wrong with my car. Thanks again for reading my thread.:)

das2123
08-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Check the fluid, if it's low...ONLY ADD Mopar ATF+3 or 4 from the dealer. Might also be time for a fluid and filter change. Check in your Haynes on how to adjust your kickdown band. It may need to be adjusted.

MT-2500
08-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I have a 97 dodge neon with an automatic transmission that I purchased about a year ago. I have noticed that when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd at about 15-20 miles per hour, the car jerks and then shifts. It shifts rather hard. From 2nd to 3rd gear and so on, it seems to shift a little less rough. I am worried that I will slowly ruin the transmission if I dont check it out. Does anyone know why this is happening? I read my Haynes Repair Manual and it says to check the transmission fluid level and make sure its full. If its not full, should I add whatever fluid the manual says or should I try to find out what is in the transmission right now?

Also I bought the neon with a K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit Generation 2. Does anyone think that might be causing my car to shift hard? I wouldn't think the K&N Filer would have anything to do with the transmission jerking and shifting hard.
On normal take off what is the upshift speeds at?

If anyone has any ideas why this might be happening please let me know. I will try anything to fix it myself, but who knows, maybe I will have to take it into a shop that I can't afford to pay for. LOL. Thanks for helping. :)

The K&N with a injection kit could be affecting engine running.
Sometime not a good idea there.
Engine running has a lot to do with the way the transmission shifts.
Check engine running real close. A good tune up to start with if it needs it.

On the transmission end as said filter and filter and band adjustment.
Also on a 3 speed automatic there is usually a TV pressure linkage from TBI to transmission that can stick /bind or may need adjustment.
MT

Bear
08-19-2006, 12:47 PM
If you have over 30,000 miles on the last or only fluid and filter change, start there and change both. As stated previously ATF+3 in your car.

MT-2500
08-19-2006, 01:14 PM
If you have over 30,000 miles on the last or only fluid and filter change, start there and change both. As stated previously ATF+3 in your car.

Good point on changing the fluid and filter.
Also watch quicklubes a lot of them will put dexron 3 and a bottle of dope in it.
Instead of the correct mopar fluid. Big NO NO.
That could even be part of your problem.
Dodge has a TSB out now to change most of them over to the new ATF+4 fluid.
MT

MT-2500
08-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Also it seems to downshift pretty well. The only time it shifts hard is when I am excelerating. Hope this helps you readers figure out what's wrong with my car. Thanks again for reading my thread.:)

Here is a copy of the answer on private e mail so everyone can benfit from it have the info on it .

Most quick lubes just want to do a flush without even changing the transmission filter or adjusting band or anything else you transmission needs.
They are after the fast buck not the best thing for your transmission or proper service.

The dexron 111 fluid is the most used fluid by GM and older fords so quick lubes just by it by the barrel and use it in everything. And throw a bottle of dope to try to change it over to any other type of fluid that may be needed by the car.
If someone or a quick lube has put the dexron111 fluid in there it can cause a harsh shift and will damage your transmission.
If so get the stuff out of there and if not sure about what is in there flush it and put the right fluid in there. Like cry ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluid.

And do not use additives or dope in a good transmission.
Just good clean right kind of fluid and good clean filter will do it.

Your dodge calls for mopar or ATF+3 transmission fluid.
Anything else will mess up the shifting and damage transmission.
But there is a cry TSB that calls for changing the ATF+3 over to the newer cry fluid ATF+4
It can be added to the ATF=3 or will mix with it.
Or you can do a flush and then install it.

You can do it yourself if you are mechanical minded.
On your transmission you need to check the band adjustment. And on the 3 speed check the linkage from TBI to transmission.
When changing filter watch and get a good pan gasket.
Cry has a reusable molded gasket out for them now.
You can flush it by running the rad cooler line into a 5 gal bucket and starting the engine at idle and let it pump fluid into bucket while pouring in new fluid.
Mt
Also some more info on fluid and gasket.

Here is the TSB for this reusable gasket:

A/T Pan Gasket - Reusable Design/Installation

NUMBER: 21-05-99 Rev. A

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: Sep. 03, 1999

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-05-99 DATED
MARCH 5, 1999 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS
ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE ADDITIONAL PARTS AND
MODEL COVERAGE.

SUBJECT:
Reusable Automatic Transmission Oil Pan Gasket

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin announces availability and installation of a reusable
automatic transmission oil pan gasket.

MODELS:
1989 - 1995 (AA) Spirit/Acclaim/LeBaron Sedan
1989 - 1993 (AC) Dynasty/New Yorker/New Yorker Salon
**1989** - 1993 (AG) Daytona
**1989** - 1995 (AJ) LeBaron Coupe/LeBaron Convertible
**1989** - 1994 (AP) Shadow/Shadow Convertible/Sundance
1990 - 1991 (AQ) Chrysler Maserati TC
1989 - 1995 (AS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1990 - 1993 (AY) Imperial/New Yorker Fifth Avenue
1993 - 1995 (ES) Chrysler Voyager (European Market)
1995 - **2000** (FJ) Sebring/Avenger/Talon
1996 - **2000** (GS) Chrysler Voyager (European Market)
1995 - **2000** (JA) Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze
1996 - **2000** (JX) Sebring Convertible
**1993 - 2000 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/New Yorker/LHS/Vision/300M**
1996 - **2000** (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
**1995 - 2000 (PL) Neon**
**1997 - 2000 (PR) Prowler**

DISCUSSION:

A reusable silicone gasket has been developed to replace the RTV
method of sealing the automatic transmission oil pan. Due to more
frequent Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) change intervals and the
possibility of the fluid foaming if it comes in contact with uncured
RTV it is recommended that this gasket be used in all applications.

NOTE: THIS GASKET CAN BE REUSED UP TO THREE (3) TIMES.

PARTS REQUIRED:

**1 05011113AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 31TH**
**1 05011114AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 42LE**
1 05011115AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 41TE/AE

Also a tsb on the ATF+4 cry fluid
Cry is changing ships in the middle of the ocean on going from atf+3 to atf+4 trans fluid.
There is a TSB out on it. All newer trans have it already in them and they recommend changing and using it in a lot of the older ones to it.
TSB 21-004-04 transmissions March 16 -04
Your dealer should furnish you with a copy of it.
I think the ATF+4 is full synthetic fluid.
I have changed my personal town and country van 4 speed auto over to it and it did help improve the shifting.
I cannot say it will help all of them but keep it in mind and that is what cry recommends.
But cry has a patent on it and you may have to get it at the dealer.
It will mix with the atf+3 so you can just add it with a filter change or flush the trans out and put all atf+4 in. your choice.
d.

Add your comment to this topic!