Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Grand Caravan 3.3 starting, hesitation problems

log_cabin_sam
08-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Got a 2000 Grand Caravan with the 3.3, with 85,000 miles on it. Two winters ago, I had a couple instances where it was hard to start in the morning, when it was very cold out. Couldn't figure out what it was. Once the weather got warmer, problem never came back. This last winter, problem came back, and occured much more often, frequently ran down the battery, trying to get it started. After much, much cranking, could usually get it to start firing on a few cylinders, and keeping it running by "fluttering" the throttle quickly, in a minute or two the engine would be running normally. This became a bit of a drag, fortunately it always happened at the house in the morning, so I could fiddle with it at my leisure. It didn't happen all the time either, which made it especially frustrating. Tried drygas, injector cleaner, changed plugs, plug wires. Then when weather warmed up, it went away again. Starts like a champ.

However, a few months ago, the van started "hesitating" a bit when you first get on the throttle from a dead stop. Hasn't stalled out yet or anything, and still starts fine all the time. But it is something to remember when pulling out into traffic....

Worst part is that winter is approaching, and I think it could be a crippling problem this winter, if the hesitation is any indication the whatever the problem is is getting worse.

I had the fuel filter assy replaced at the last oil change, does anyone think it could be the fuel pump related??

Taz480
08-17-2006, 09:55 PM
I am having the same kind of problem, sort of. You can read my thread here:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=4201735#post4201735

It's a little long as my problem has had many variables and has been going on for a month and a half. You can just skim through it if you want. It's some good reading in the least. My problem started with someone vandalizing our van by putting an egg in our gas tank. But now my problem has dwindled down to almost the exact same scenario as yours. Maybe you can find some similarities in symptoms. Ive just about exhausted every possibility on mine. My fuel pump is good as I have proper fuel PSI even when it's running like its on 2 or 3 cylinders. in fact, the PSI is a little higher which leads me to believe that one or more injectors is not getting a signal but it's so intermittent. Will work one minute, not the next but usually will not work right first thing in the morning. im almost starting to lean towards a bad engine compuer or body control module. I have another thread on that end of it because it seems to be a different issue from the previous.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=607428

I'll let you know what I find if you let me know what you find. Our vans are 9 years apart but are the same engine.

MT-2500
08-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Got a 2000 Grand Caravan with the 3.3, with 85,000 miles on it. Two winters ago, I had a couple instances where it was hard to start in the morning, when it was very cold out. Couldn't figure out what it was. Once the weather got warmer, problem never came back. This last winter, problem came back, and occured much more often, frequently ran down the battery, trying to get it started. After much, much cranking, could usually get it to start firing on a few cylinders, and keeping it running by "fluttering" the throttle quickly, in a minute or two the engine would be running normally. This became a bit of a drag, fortunately it always happened at the house in the morning, so I could fiddle with it at my leisure. It didn't happen all the time either, which made it especially frustrating. Tried drygas, injector cleaner, changed plugs, plug wires. Then when weather warmed up, it went away again. Starts like a champ.

However, a few months ago, the van started "hesitating" a bit when you first get on the throttle from a dead stop. Hasn't stalled out yet or anything, and still starts fine all the time. But it is something to remember when pulling out into traffic....

Worst part is that winter is approaching, and I think it could be a crippling problem this winter, if the hesitation is any indication the whatever the problem is is getting worse.

I had the fuel filter assy replaced at the last oil change, does anyone think it could be the fuel pump related??

Just fuel filter is a long way from a good tune up.
If anybody still knows how to do one get a good tune up to start with.
MT

log_cabin_sam
08-18-2006, 06:57 AM
I'll have to check my manual when I get home, now that you've raised the issue. However, in the last six months I've done spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, serpentine belt, 2 oil changes, and tried and failed to raise any computer codes several times.

I'm sure that I'm missing something......

But short of carb adjusting, cleaning the points etc..... which aint done anymore.......I've already done what I used to consider a backyard "tune-up".

log_cabin_sam
04-16-2008, 08:19 AM
This problem turned out to be the coil pack. Replaced the coil pack for about 30 bucks, and it runs like new again. What a silly problem. At least it was easy to fix.

MT-2500
04-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks for posting back how it went.
Glad you found the problem.
But I hope it did not take over a year and a 1/2 to get it figured out.
How did you find it?

A bad coil usually sets a code or causes a engine miss.
And should be checked and is usually found with a good basic tune up.
MT

log_cabin_sam
04-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Nope, didn't take 1.5 years to fix, lol. I just forgot to post. Sorry.

It never put up a code for me on this one, and I just sort of deduced it was a coil pack, because of the way it was behaving. It was only doing this in super cold weather to start off. Then it started doing it in wet weather. Then later it started hesitating every time you got on the gas to pull out. Well, I guess that's what made me actually throw a part at it. The safety factor......

It seemed like an ignition problem to me, and since I'd put new plugs and wires on it already, it was either a coil pack, or the ECM. I learned there was a bit of a process to properly put a new ECM in this van, so I just prayed it was the coil. And it was. yay me.

MT-2500
04-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Well glad you found it and thanks for posting back how it went.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!