Page updated on 03-19-2018

Rear Defroster not working

08-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Ok. Here goes. A while back I had to replace my left quartet window cause someone shot it with a BB gun. Since then I noticed the rear defroster doesn't work. I don't know if it started after the replacement or it was aready not working before that because it was summer when I had the window fixed and I didnt noticed the rear defroster not working till the winter. Just wondering where to start before going out and buying the Haynes Manual for it. I don't want to go another winter without the defroster working.
97 Pontiac Sunfire

08-17-2006, 02:10 PM
were any of the wires from the defroster cut??

08-17-2006, 06:11 PM
it could be a fuse, it could also be switch/relay, or the defroster itself (the wire looking things across the window) just could have gone bad

good thing its nothing serious though, its not really that hard to scrape a window every morning

08-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Bought the manual today. Will do what it says in it to troubleshoot it but if I cant find what's wrong am gonna have to take the panel out myself and make sure the guy from the window shop didnt break a wire in there...pain in the @#$
Will also look into what jake said. The light on the switch does go on so Idk if it could be that or not. I have check the fuses but never thought to look for thr relay in the engine compartment. Will update you guys sometime this weekend.
And yes for me it is serious. Living in NH stinks come winter time if it's a harsh winter.

08-18-2006, 07:46 AM
for me it is serious. Living in NH stinks come winter time if it's a harsh winter.

im gonna have to disagree, if your car starts and runs fine, and gets you from point A to point B, then its nothing serious

you have side mirrors, right??

08-18-2006, 04:00 PM
i forget how exactly to do it but it involves a test lamp, turning it on and running it along the red strips, and make sure its got power, if no power going to it then u got a blown fuse.. or a break in the wiring , i dont think its a commen problem for a break in the wire. so its probably a break in the crap that runs along the window, which is easy to fix.. come in kits and you just paint it on.

Add your comment to this topic!